Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in AthensDecember 18th, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, Dec 18 (IANS) The flame for the first Winter Youth Olympic Games to be hosted in Innsbruck, Austria in January 2012 was lit in a ceremony held at Panathinaiko Stadium in Athens.
At the historic venue where the first modern Olympics in 1896 were held, Greek actress Ino Menegaki, in the role of the High Priestess, Saturday ignited the flame out of a concave mirror by using the sun’s rays and prayed to Apollo, God of the Sun in Greek mythology.
The ritual ceremony was conducted following the tradition of the Lighting of the Flame for the Olympic Games which was held at Olympia, the birthplace of the Games.
After a dance performance, Menegaki ignited the torch of the Games with the flame which was carried in a replica of an ancient urn and handed it over to the first torchbearer Greek athlete Christos Metaxotos, kicking off the torch relay inside the stadium.
The ceremony ended with Greek Olympic Committee President Spyros Kapralos passing the flame to Richard Rubatscher, the head of the Innsbruck Games Organising Committee.
The first Winter Youth Olympic Games will run Jan 13-22, 2012, with the participation of approximately 1,100 athletes aged between 14 and 19 from over 65 countries. The first Summer Youth Olympics were hosted successfully in Singapore in 2010.
- Be true to human nature: Olympic Flame ceremonies High Priestess - Jul 18, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- China's artistry of lighting Games torch dazzles - Nov 12, 2010
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Paralympic flame lit - Aug 29, 2012
- Glasgow is Britain's lone potential candidate for 2018 Youth Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Youth Olympics should not be an expensive affair: IOC president - Jan 23, 2012
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: apollo god of the sun, athens athens, committee president, concave mirror, dance performance, god of the sun, god of the sun in greek mythology, high priestess, innsbruck austria, innsbruck games, menegaki, modern olympics, organising committee, passing the flame, ritual ceremony, s rays, spyros, torch relay, torchbearer, youth olympics