Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulousSeptember 8th, 2012 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Winning five gold medals in the London 2012 Paralympic pool has left swimmer Oksana Savchenko incredulous.
The 21-year-old Russian set a new world record to claim an astonishing quintet of titles with victory in the 50 metres freestyle Thursday.
She earlier stormed to gold in the 100 metres backstroke and freestyle, the 400 metres freestyle, and the 200 meters individual medley.
“You think - all right, that’s three, but here are five!” she said Saturday.
“If I’m honest, I couldn’t ever have imagined that at one Paralympics it’s possible to win five gold medals. It just seems unrealistic.”
Savchenko revealed she had had spats with her coach who had urged her to trim down her disciplines to just two or three.
“He said: ‘What do you mean you intend to swim the 400? You can’t swim it.’ There were lots of moments like that. And yet it all worked out so well, gold in all five distances. I can’t believe it.”
Savchenko’s haul has helped Russia to third in the medal table with 32 golds, 35 silver and 26 bronze, trailing host Britain by one gold. China is uncatchable in first place with 84 gold, 66 silver and 60 bronze.
- Putin envisions Russia as Paralympic powerhouse - Sep 11, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Franklin backstrokes to 100-m gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- Paralympics: China's gold rush continues - Sep 08, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Australian Seebohm sets record in backstroke heats - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Antyukh storms to 400m hurdles gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Paralympic discus gold for Russia - Sep 01, 2012
- First Paralympic gold goes to China - Aug 31, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic swimming: American Grevers wins men's 100-m backstroke gold - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: backstroke, coach, disciplines, five distances, gold medals, host britain, individual medley, london 2012, medal table, new world record, paralympics, pool, quintet, ria novosti, russia, spats, ss, swimmer, victory, vm