Five Indian junior cagers selected for NBA clinicJune 24th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Five Indian junior basketball players will get a life-time opportunity to learn nuances of the game from top American National Basketball Association (NBA) players, who will be in the country next week to participate in a training programme called ‘Basketball without Borders’. Hirendera Singh Rathore, Shadab Khan, Pratham Singh, Arjun Singh and Vishesh Bhrigvansh are the five juniors selected from a group of 16 by national coach Alexander Bucan at Bhilwara.
The players will get a chance to attend the four-day clinic starting July 3. Top American players like Pat Garrity, Kyle Korver, Ronny Turiaf and Linton Johnson, along with legendry Dominique Wilkins and Sam Perkins will give tips to the youngsters.
The clinic will be a part of NBA’s first social responsibility efforts in India.
Basketball Federation of India (BFI) secretary general Harish Sharma said that the five players will also represent India at the Asian Championship to be held in Iran from Aug 28-Sep 5.
“Keeping the Iran meet in mind, and their excellent skills and execution during the nationals, they were chosen to participate in the clinic in New Delhi,” said Sharma.
“The clinic would help our boys’ massively. Our coaches, including Bucan, will also be at hand to see how the boys are responding to the lessons taught to them,” he said.
- NBA stars tour India for Basketball without Borders programme - Jul 06, 2008
- NBA stars will be in Delhi to popularise basketball (Lead) - Jun 04, 2008
- NBA stars pitch in to professionalise Indian basketball - Jul 04, 2008
- Indian basketball teams announced for Asian Beach Games - Jun 15, 2012
- NBA to hold first-ever event in India - Jun 04, 2008
- US basketball stars to interact with Mumbai, Delhi students - Feb 17, 2011
- Indian basketball's CEO Harish Sharma dead - Feb 11, 2012
- Indian basketball coaches on US tour - Feb 19, 2012
- India announce squad for inaugural 3x3 World Youth Basketball - Aug 26, 2011
- India beat Bangladesh, enter Asian basketball qualifying event final - Jul 14, 2011
- India readies for Asia U-18 basketball championship - Aug 16, 2012
- Jayram to lead Indian basketball team - Jul 28, 2009
- Roopam Sharma new secretary of Delhi Basketball Association - Apr 09, 2012
- National Basketball: Tamil Nadu shock Railways - Dec 17, 2011
- Keith Bogans Joins Chicago Bulls? - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: arjun singh, asian championship, basketball federation, basketball players, basketball without borders, cagers, dominique wilkins, junior basketball, kyle korver, life time opportunity, linton johnson, national basketball association, national coach, nba players, pat garrity, pratham, rathore, ronny turiaf, sam perkins, shadab