First time India is playing so well here: RanatungaFebruary 8th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 7 (IANS) Giving full credit to the Indian cricket team for taking an unbeatable 4-0 lead in the hurriedly organised five match one-day series, Sri Lanka’s World Cup winning captain Arjuna Ranatunga said Saturday that earlier he has not seen India dominating in Sri Lanka to this extent.
“To tell you honestly, this is the first time India are playing so well here. Every time they come here, they have played well, but not the way they were playing in the last four games. They are brilliant cricketers and there was no doubt about it,” Ranatunga told reporters here.
Batting for the Sri Lankan players, Ranatunga, who was sacked as the chairman of the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) interim administration after 11 months in December, however, said that poor performance currently by the national team “is not entirely the players’ fault”.
“Please do not blame the cricketers for this. Our players are the most talented in the world and not behind any team. They are going through a rough patch, but I doubt whether they have planned enough and committed enough for the current series,” he said.
Ranatunga, who is also a member of parliament from the ruling coalition, has already taken Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge to court to challenge the decision to sack him.
He said that it was very “unfortunate that some of these wickets were prepared to suit the opposition rather than the host”.
“We have two world best spinners and we could not prepare five wickets to suit them. I am ashamed that our cricket has gone to this level today due to bad administration,” Ranatunga said.
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- IPL a monster that will destroy international cricket: Ranatunga - Jun 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka sports minister says Pakistan tour is on (Lead) - Dec 24, 2008
- India strong favourites to win World Cup: Cricketing legends - Dec 09, 2010
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka Cricket led by Ranatunga dissolved - Dec 23, 2008
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka willing to host India ahead of Pakistan tour - Jan 04, 2009
- Sri Lanka Cricket CEO's head likely to roll - Mar 29, 2009
- Pakistan cricket tour on schedule, says Sri Lanka sports minister - Dec 24, 2008
Tags: arjuna ranatunga, colombo, cricketers, four games, gamini, indian cricket team, interim administration, match, member of parliament, no doubt, opposition, parliament, poor performance, rough patch, spinners, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan, time india, wickets, world cup