First Test records highest run aggregate between India, SAMarch 30th, 2008 - 9:41 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, March 30 (IANS) The drawn first Test between India and South Africa produced 1498 runs, which is a record for the highest match aggregate between the two nations. South Africa scored 540 and 331/5 while India made 627, surpassing the 1288 runs scored 1996-97 Cape Town Test (South Africa 529/7 declared and 256, India 359 and 144).
The other highlights of the match are:
# Virender Sehwag (319 + 1/37 and 1/55) became the second all-rounder to register a triple century and claim two wickets or more in a Test match. Sri Lanka’s Sanath Jayasuriya was the first to achieve the distinction, posting 340 and capturing 3 for 45 against India at Colombo in 1997.
# Sehwag got his first man of the match award against South Africa - his fifth in Tests.
# The match aggregate is also a record at M.A.Chidambaram Stadium, eclipsing the 1488-32 wickets produced in the Tied Test between Australia and India.
# The match aggregate is the second best on Indian soil - the best being 1609-33 wickets between India and Pakistan in the 2007-08 Bangalore Test.
# During his innings of 19 off 40 balls, Jacques Kallils became the leading run-getter for South Africa against India - 736 (ave.56.61) in 9 Tests, surpassing Gary Kirsten’s aggregate of 720 at an average of 40.00 in 10 Tests.
# Neil McKenzie (94 + 155 not out) became the fifth South African batsman to register a century and a ninety in the same Test match.
# McKenzie’s 155 not out off 339 balls registered his first century against India - his fourth in Test Cricket.
# McKenzie has amassed 249 (94 + 155 not out) in the Test, which is now a new record for most runs in a Test match for South Africa vs. India, bettering Hashim Amla’s aggregate of 240 runs (159 + 81) in the Chennai Test.
# Amla (159 + 81), for the first time in his Test career, has hit a hundred and fifty in the same Test match.
# Harbhajan has claimed 8 wickets in a Test match for the first time in three years - the last occasion being in the 2005-06 Ahmedabad Test against Sri Lanka, bagging 10 wickets in a Test match.
# For the first time in a Test match, Harbhajan has conceded over 100 runs in both innings.
- Zaheer snaps 250 wickets, Pathan hits maiden 50 against Proteas (Match highlights) - Jan 19, 2011
- Peterson third South African to hit debut century (Statistical Highlights) - Feb 14, 2010
- Black Caps set bench mark for batting powerplay - Mar 14, 2011
- Proteas' run chase against India their highest in World Cup - Mar 13, 2011
- Amla crosses 400 runs in the India-South Africa series (Statistical highlights) - Feb 17, 2010
- Kallis is South African Cricketer of the Year - Jun 08, 2011
- India suffer sixth straight loss to Proteas (Statistical Highlights) - Jan 13, 2011
- Tahir claims four wickets on World Cup debut (Statistics) - Feb 25, 2011
- Kohli first Indian to hit century on World Cup debut (Statistical Highlights) - Feb 20, 2011
- Sachin is fourth Indian to hit four Test tons on trot (Statistical Highlights) - Feb 15, 2010
- Kohli, Yuvraj record best ever figures in Port Elizabeth (Match highlights) - Jan 22, 2011
- Munaf achieves career-best figures at Wanderers (Match highlights) - Jan 16, 2011
- India suffer fourth innings defeat against Proteas (First Test highlights) - Dec 20, 2010
- Sehwag smashes 22nd Test ton, Dravid 30th (Ahmedabad Test highlights) - Nov 04, 2010
- Harbhajan strikes maiden century as first Test ends in draw (Ahmedabad Test highlights) - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: cape town, chennai, chidambaram stadium, colombo, first man, first test, gary kirsten, getter, india and pakistan, indian soil, jayasuriya, neil mckenzie, rounder, sanath jayasuriya, south africa, test career, test cricket, test match, test records, wickets