First round bye for Vijender and Suranjoy in CWG boxingOctober 5th, 2010 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 4 (IANS) World No.1 Vijender Singh and Asian champion Suranjoy Singh got a first round bye Monday in the draw of lots in the boxing event at the Commonwealth Games here, while defending gold medallist Akhil Kumar would begin his campaign against Qadir Khan of Pakistan later this week.
Only two pugilists, Commonwealth champion Amandeep Singh and former Asian bronze medallist Manoj Kumar would be seen in action in the first round here Tuesday.
Amandeep Singh will take on Peter Warui of Kenya in the light fly weight 49kg category while Manoj faces Daniel Lassayo of Sierra Leone in the light welterweight 64kg category in the afternoon session.
Olympic and World Championship bronze medallist Vijender (75kg) will face Kenyan Dick Ombaka here Friday. Vijender will attempt to become the third Indian boxer after Akhil (2006) and Mohammad Ali Qamar (2002) to win a gold at the Commonwealth Games. In the last Games in Melbourne, Vijender won the silver.
For Akhil, the challenge will be to retain his gold in the bantam weight (56kg) against Qadir Khan in the opening round. Even if Akhil gets through the first round, he will face 20-year-old English boxer Iain Weaver, who had defeated the Indian in the very opening round of the Commonwealth Championships in March.
Suranjoy Singh will face Manyo Plange of Ghana in the second round of the fly weight (52kg) category while Jai Bhagwan, who also got a bye in the first round, will face Colan Caleb of Nauru in the second round of the light weight (60kg) division, Wednesday.
Nine-time national champion Dilbagh Singh (69kg) will throw his punches at Viliami Latu of Tonga and in the light weight 81kg, Arjuna awardee Dinesh Kumar will face Obed Mwakongo of England.
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Manoj in second round of World Boxing championships - Sep 30, 2011
- Vijender to spearhead India's CWG boxing challenge - Aug 31, 2010
- World Boxing Championship: Devendro in second round - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Amandeep in final of Asian Confederation boxing - Aug 11, 2011
- India sweep six gold medals in Commonwealth Boxing - Mar 17, 2010
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender and Suranjoy in semis; Amandeep in quarters - Nov 20, 2010
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: afternoon session, amandeep singh, asian champion, awardee, bantam weight, boxing event, bronze medallist, colan, commonwealth champion, commonwealth games, cwg, gold medallist, jai bhagwan, last games, latu, mohammad ali, ombaka, plange, time national champion, warui