First Paralympic gold goes to ChinaAugust 31st, 2012 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) China’s Zhang Cuiping won the first gold medal of the London Paralympic Games with a world record performance.
Zhang, 24, notched up 500.9 points on aggregate to win the R2-10-metre air rifle standing-SH1, setting a world record of 104.9 points in the final Thursday.
The silver went to German shooter Manuela Schmermund with 493.6 points, while Australia’s Natalie Smith won bronze with 492.4 points.
The Paralympics were opened in London Wednesday and end Sep 9.
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Karmakar finishes fourth in 50m rifle prone (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Hope I can give a better gift to the country next time, says Joydeep Karmakar - Aug 03, 2012
- Swimmers raise China's Paralympic gold tally to 46 - Sep 04, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- Brazilian sprinters break records in Paralympics - Sep 03, 2012
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Paralympic discus gold for Russia - Sep 01, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Olympics: first medal in, hopes alive in badminton and tennis (Overall India Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Paralympic Games: Brazilian Dias wins 4th swimming gold - Sep 07, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang, Rajput fail to qualify - Aug 06, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012