First match of AFC qualifier very critical: CoachJune 22nd, 2012 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Muscat, June 22 (IANS) India’s under-22 head coach Arthur Papas said here Friday that their first match against Lebanon Saturday will be critical as it will lay the foundations of whether the team would qualify for the final round of the AFC Championship.
“It is our first match of the Championship and is a critical one. A good start can provide us the optimism to look at qualification,” he said.
Papas has set a strict routine for the youngsters; if you are late for the meals, you are ‘punished.’ The punishment ranges from having intense extra sprints in practice to singing a song prior to lunch or dinner.
After checking into the Muscat Hotel Thursday, a few footballers arrived a bit late for lunch. They had to sing the national anthem “Jana Gana Mana”.
“This is very necessary. There’s unity in the team. We need to push ourselves to be on time and perfect for everything. Football is all about that,” midfielder Lalrindika Ralte said.
On the field, Papas has been stressing on a new style of play - a style which emphasises on keeping possession of the ball.
“The practice sessions are fun,” proclaims Ralte. “We are enjoying it. Everyone is enjoying it.”
Lebanon challenge India in their first match. Iraq, UAE, Turkmenistan and Oman follow.
“We stay on a threshold,” said captain Jeje Lalpekhlua.
“We have adjusted to a new style, it’s a new bunch and we have a new Coach at the helm. There’s a more definite approach at the moment,” he adds. “I’ve recovered fully and am fit at the moment.”
- Jeje to lead India U-22 in AFC Championship qualifiers - Jun 20, 2012
- Indian U-22 soccer squad leaves for Muscat - Jun 14, 2012
- AFC U-22: India need to be consistent against UAE in qualifiers - Jun 27, 2012
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Do or die for India against Oman in AFC U-22 qualifier - Jul 02, 2012
- 100 percent may not get favourable result: Dika - Jul 02, 2012
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- India hold UAE 1-1 in U-22 AFC Championship qualifier - Jun 29, 2012
- Chettri brace gives India 3-2 win over Malaysia - Nov 17, 2011
- India out of AFC U-22 Championship - Jul 04, 2012
- AIFF XI to miss Ralte against ONGC in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- AFC Challenge Cup squad announced - Feb 12, 2010
- Pune FC sign defender Ralte - Jul 30, 2012
- Bhaichung, Renedy among 32 probables for Pakistan friendlies - Jul 20, 2011
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: afc championship, footballers, foundations, head coach, helm, jana gana mana, jeje, match, muscat hotel, national anthem jana gana mana, new style, optimism, papas, possession, practice sessions, singing a song, strict routine, threshold, uae, youngsters