‘Fired up’ Finn says will bowl to ‘Ponting just like to a club third XI player’October 30th, 2010 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct 30(ANI): England’s 6 feet 8 inch fast bowler Steven Finn wants to treat Australian captain Ricky Ponting like a ‘club third XI player’ during the upcoming Ashes series.
Finn, who has played eight Tests so far, insists that the prospect of facing Ponting in his own backyard is not a daunting task for him.
“It’s important there is no fear. We hold The Ashes and go there after 18 months of good cricket. We can’t put this series on a pedestal though. We’ve performed well by having an atmosphere that every match is just another game of cricket,” the Sun quoted Finn, as saying.
“I grew up watching Ricky Ponting and he’s a great player. To be able to bowl at a player like that is a huge challenge.”
“Australia are always a solid team and they’re the old foe, but I don’t care who it is - a club third XI player or Ponting - I like to think I do things the same,” he added.
England’s tour of Australia gets under way on November 5 with a warm-up game against Western Australia.
The first of the five Ashes Tests will be held at The Gabba in Brisbane from November 25 to 29.
It will be followed by Tests in Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.
The tour also has two Twenty20 clashes and a seven-match ODI series. (ANI)
- Ponting reminds England not to 'forget packing the urn' in Ashes message on Big Ben! - Oct 28, 2010
- Ponting doesn't see too many gaping holes in team despite drubbing by India - Oct 14, 2010
- Ashes conditions in Australia's favour: Ponting - Aug 17, 2010
- Bollinger adds salt to England's ICC player of the year award 'snub' wounds - Aug 20, 2010
- Broad wants to 'throw the first punch' in Ashes sledgefest - Oct 27, 2010
- Trott takes gloss off Ponting's Australia 'Ashes series whitewash' jibe - Aug 17, 2010
- Aussie stars will have to risk all to regain Ashes: Roebuck - Nov 14, 2010
- Australia's insecurity over Ashes selection 'good thing' for England: Strauss - Nov 14, 2010
- Strauss vows to 'grind Australia down' to retain Ashes - Oct 31, 2010
- Strauss expects 'outstanding player' Pietersen to shine during Ashes series - Oct 31, 2010
- Cash-stripped Barmy Army to be a reduced battalion for current Ashes series - Nov 20, 2010
- Australia's Ashes mind games would end up wasted: Strauss - Oct 24, 2010
- 'England team to take on Ashes challenge together' says Prior - Oct 25, 2010
- Chappell backs selection of 'genuine spinner' against 'four pacemen' for Ashes success - Nov 12, 2010
- Flower expects 'special one' Pietersen to 'stand-out' on England's tour to Australia - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: atmosphere, australian captain, brisbane, captain ricky ponting, challenge australia, clashes, cricket, daunting task, finn, foe, gabba, match, melbourne, oct 30, odi series, own backyard, pedestal, perth, ricky, western australia