Finn backs Strauss to continue as Test and one-day captainApril 24th, 2011 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 24 (ANI): Fast bowler Steve Finn has backed Andrew Strauss to continue his dual role as Test and one-day captain, despite England’s dismal performance at 2011 World Cup.
Strauss is now widely recognised as one of England’s most successful Test captains after leading his country to back-to-back Ashes triumphs against Australia.
However, his position as one-day skipper has come under scrutiny after a dismal series defeat Down Under and another disastrous World Cup campaign, the Daily express reports.
“Andrew Strauss has been a fantastic England captain for the last two years. You can’t ignore the strides that England have made in all forms of cricket under his and Andy Flower’s leadership,” said Finn.
“The way they’ve brought the team forward and the way he has led the team has been inspirational,” he said.
“Obviously he’ll be disappointed about the World Cup, being knocked out in the quarter-finals, but you have to put everything in perspective and Straussy is very good at doing that.
“I’m sure he’ll take time out to go away and spend time away from cricket, then come back in the summer to lead the team,” Finn added. (ANI)
- Cook eyeing to succeed Strauss as England one-day captain - Apr 10, 2011
- Strauss should stay as England's ODI captain: Broad - Apr 13, 2011
- We've learned lessons from 2007 World Cup: Strauss - Feb 14, 2011
- Strauss dreams of two more Ashes series wins under his captaincy - Jan 08, 2011
- Cook to lead England in ODIs, Broad Twenty20 (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Strauss is my hero, says Swann - Aug 16, 2011
- T20 winning captain Collingwood back in team as regular trooper - May 18, 2010
- Collingwood, Prior dropped from England squad - Jun 21, 2011
- Appointing Cook is a big mistake by Flower: Greig - May 11, 2011
- Strauss to discuss England one-day captaincy with Flower in May - Mar 28, 2011
- Vaughan expects Strauss to quit one-day cricket following England's World Cup exit - Mar 28, 2011
- Cook, Broad, Strauss to split England captaincy - May 05, 2011
- Feels strange to be back in England, says Fletcher - Jul 14, 2011
- England may hide Finn from Australians ahead of Ashes - Jun 04, 2010
- England will stay No.1 for a long time: Harminson - Oct 08, 2011
Tags: 2011 world cup, andrew strauss, andy flower, australia, cricket, daily express, day skipper, dismal performance, dual role, england captain, leadership, london, perspective, quarter finals, scrutiny, steve finn, strides, triumphs, world cup campaign