FIH to continue recognising Hockey IndiaNovember 12th, 2011 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 12 (IANS) In a major breather for hockey in the country, International Hockey Federation (FIH) has decided to continue with its recognition of Hockey India (HI) and also conduct the Olympic qualifiers next February.
The decision was taken at the FIH executive board at Lausanne, where HI secretary general Narinder Batra had gone to present India’s case over the issue of governance.
“The FIH executive board has unanimously decided to conduct the Olympic qualifiers and other major hockey tournaments in India. They have also decided to recognise Hockey India (HI) as the national federation of the sport,” said a statement from the sports ministry Saturday.
FIH president Leandro Negre conveyed the decision to Sports minister Ajay Maken over phone.
“In his response the sports minister expressed satisfaction at the decision of FIH to conduct the qualifiers in India and termed it as a suitable and logical conclusion to the efforts that were made by the ministry, Hockey India and the FIH,” the statement added.
FIH was peeved at the power-sharing arrangement between HI and Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), facilitated by the sports ministry. FIH officially recognise HI and said there cannot be two federations running the sport as it will be against its statues and Olympic charter. FIH took away the Champions Trophy from India and threatened HI with de-recogntion if the matter was not resolved.
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- IOA president criticises FIH for taking away Champions Trophy from India - Sep 13, 2011
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken will try to convince Negre - Sep 12, 2011
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- FIH hopeful of ending impasse before Olympic qualifiers - Sep 13, 2011
- IOA convenes HI-IHF meeting to address issues raised by FIH - Sep 30, 2011
- FIH gives HI and IHF a month to resolve tangle - Feb 27, 2012
- 'HI has to deal with players appearing in World Series Hockey' - May 11, 2011
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National Stadium - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: ajay maken, batra, champions trophy, fih, governance, hockey tournaments, indian hockey federation, international hockey federation, lausanne, logical conclusion, narinder, national federation, negre, New Delhi, olympic charter, olympic qualifiers, satisfaction, secretary general, sports ministry, statues