FIH clears Mander’s name as returning officer for HI pollsJanuary 20th, 2010 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS) International Hockey Federation (FIH) vice president Antonio Von Ondarza has cleared the name of G.S. Mander as returning officer for the Hockey India polls after questions were raised about his credentials by government-appointed observer S.K. Mendiratta.
Ondarza, who is also the FIH observer for the HI elections, said the name of Mander, the president of the Wrestling Federation of India, was agreed upon at a meeting which was attended by Mendiratta.
“S.K. Mendiratta was present when Mander accepted his appointment. I have spoken to Mr. Mander as well as the Union home secretary and found him as an excellent candidate to be the returning officer for the upcoming Hockey India elections.
“This was also the view of the members of executive board of Hockey India including the new president, IOA and the FIH,” Ondarza wrote in a communication to sports ministry and HI Wednesday.
Mendiratta had raised objections about Mander’s choice as returning officer, saying that it violates the ministry’s guidelines that nobody in HI or IOA should have any role to play in the polls. The sports ministry wanted a retired judge to be nominated as returning officer.
Ondarza said he had mentioned in a meeting with the joint secretary of the sports ministry, Injeti Srinivas that FIH preferred a neutral candidate to come from another federation with experience in sport affairs.
“The FIH is totally convinced of the capacity of the returning officer (Mander) who will receive the nominations, and monitor the elections to be held by secret ballot which, therefore, are going to be fair and transparent.”
Ondarza also said the process for the Feb 7 elections has started and the documents as well as the procedure of receiving nominations with corresponding deadlines have been sent to all affiliated states.
- HI elections deferred, new body unlikely before World Cup - Jan 24, 2010
- Hockey India to hold election July 28 - Jun 29, 2010
- Hockey India sticks to own constitution, Stokes to contest elections - Jul 20, 2010
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- Hockey India election postponed again - Jan 08, 2010
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- Hockey India chief to meet FIH observer on poll issue - Jan 10, 2010
- No question of recognising IHF again, says FIH official - Aug 07, 2010
- Notice to Indian Olympic Association on hockey body elections - Jan 22, 2010
- Protests over nominations and omissions to HI electoral college - Jan 23, 2010
- Hockey India elections slated for Aug 5 - Jul 31, 2010
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- Hockey India election deferred, secretary general Aslam put in his papers - Nov 12, 2009
- HI election: High Court forces govt to withdraw HI poll observer (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- IHF appoints national selection panel - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,