FIH asks IOA to take action against JothikumaranApril 22nd, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) The Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) bribery scandal Tuesday forced the world body to ask the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to take action against the tainted official. The International Hockey Federation (FIH) stated that it has taken note of the alleged bribery act involving IHF secretary-general K. Jothi Kumaran, who was seen accepting money for the inclusion of a player in the national team for the Sultan Azlan Shah tournament in Malaysia next month, and asked the IOA to take action.
“We have taken notice of the matter and are in close contact with the IOA to take proper action as they see it to be appropriate,” FIH president Els van Breda Vriesman told IANS in an email.
Television channel Aaj Tak’s sting operation showed Jothi Kumaran receiving Rs.200,000 in cash and then asking for Rs.300,000 more to be given to his “man” in New Delhi for the inclusion of an unnamed player in the national team. The channel claimed that the money was handed over to him in a hotel here in two instalments April 10 and 11.
Though Jothi Kumaran resigned from the post immediately after the news broke out, he denied the charges levelled against him.
Sports Minister M.S. Gill and the IOA condemned the incident and said that proper action would be taken against Jothi Kumaran if found guilty.
Although the FIH has provisionally allotted the 2010 World Cup to Delhi, the incident could mar India’s chances of hosting the event, as Jothi Kumaran was to be the organising secretary.
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- FIH lets HI defer poll date, government stalls process - May 25, 2010
- IOA convenes HI-IHF meeting to address issues raised by FIH - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan's Shakeel Abbasi braves ban to play in WSH - Mar 02, 2012
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- HI charges IHF with sabotaging India's Olympic preparations - Oct 07, 2011
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010