FIFA World Cup delegates visit SamaraJune 22nd, 2012 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Samara (Russia), June 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The FIFA delegation charged with assessing Russia’s 13 World Cup candidate cities visited here Friday.
The seven delegates visited the site on the banks of the Volga river where a new stadium will be built if Samara is picked as one of the host cities, and an area that would serve as the city’s fan zone during the 2018 World Cup.
Russia’s winning bid for the tournament envisaged building a new stadium in Samara with a swooping asymmetric design and a capacity of almost 45,000 that the city’s Russian Premier League team, Krylya Sovetov, will take over after the World Cup.
Regional governor Nikolai Merkushin was confident of the city’s chances.
“I think that Samara will host matches at the World Cup,” he said, adding that improving the city’s transport links to connect the airport and railroad station to the city centre would be the biggest challenge.
The FIFA delegation has already visited the cities of Krasnodar, Rostov, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad, Sochi and Yekaterinburg.
Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Saransk and Volgograd are the next destinations for the delegation.
The delegates will file a report of their findings to FIFA’s executive committee, which will cut at least two cities from the roster.
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- Lokomotiv Moscow release Stanislav Ivanov - Jul 11, 2012
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
- Ex-Anzhi midfielder Gadzhiev joins Ukraine's Tavriya - Sep 14, 2012
- Ammo blast kills six in Russia - May 03, 2012
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants - Feb 04, 2012
- Minute's silence at Russian Super Cup - Jul 14, 2012
- Putin supporters hold rallies all over Russia - Feb 19, 2012
- Russia launches anti-racism football taskforce - Mar 22, 2012
- FIFA allocates $699 mn for Russia 2018 - Apr 05, 2012
- Own goal saves Spartak's blushes in RPL - Jul 22, 2012
- Math teacher in Russia sentenced for verbal abuse - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: asymmetric design, candidate cities, delegates, fan zone, host cities, kaliningrad, kazan, nikolai, nizhny novgorod, premier league, railroad station, regional governor, ria novosti, rostov, saransk, sochi, volga river, volgograd, world cup, yekaterinburg