FIFA to probe Bahrain’s big winMarch 2nd, 2012 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, March 2 (IANS) FIFA have announced an investigation into Bahrain’s staggering 10-0 World Cup win over Indonesia in a World Cup qualifying match in Manama.
The visiting goalkeeper was sent off after just two minutes, and Bahrain’s win Wednesday raised suspicion because it needed to make up a nine-goal difference on Qatar in the group standings so as to reach the next round.
Bahrain also needed Qatar to lose its last match, but Qatar tied with Iran 2-2 to reach the next stage of the Asian qualifying tournament, Xinhua reported.
“Given the unusual outcome in relation to the results-expectation and head-to-head history, and in the interests of maintaining unequivocal confidence in our game, FIFA Security will conduct a routine examination of this game and its result,” said a FIFA statement Thursday.
“The important thing is that if there are suspicions you have to investigate it,” FIFA vice president Prince Ali said. “It might just be a coincidence, however there might be something behind it.”
- FIFA bans, fines Indonesian coach - Apr 20, 2012
- Lebanon beat Iran 1-0 in World Cup qualifier - Sep 12, 2012
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Iraq asks FIFA to organise its qualifiers in Qatar - Oct 02, 2011
- FIFA annuls decision to exclude Myanmar from 2018 World Cup qualifying - Nov 07, 2011
- FIFA support India for U-17 and 2022 World Cup - Sep 05, 2012
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- History will favour India in AFC Asian Cup (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Qatar will put on "an absolutely superb World Cup" in 2022: Adshead - Dec 03, 2010
- Olympic: Kashyap gives India winning start; Jwala-Diju lose (Second lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Botswana, from 'whipping boys' to 'African team of year' - Dec 30, 2011
- History will be on India's side in AFC Asian Cup - Jan 06, 2011
- Draw for 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers final round - Mar 09, 2012
- Just getting to the finals is victory for New Zealand (Team Profile) - Nov 28, 2009
- Nehru Cup: Syria come back twice against Cameroon (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: coincidence, confidence, expectation, game fifa, geneva, goal difference, goalkeeper, indonesia, iran, last match, prince ali, qatar, routine examination, suspicion, suspicions, two minutes, vice president, world cup, xinhua