FIFA names World Cup ball BrazucaSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Sep 3 (IANS) World football governing body FIFA has said that “Brazuca” will be the official name of the 2014 World Cup match ball.
The name won a public poll with 70 percent of the votes ahead of Bossa Nova and Carnavalesca, FIFA said in a statement Sunday, reports Xinhua.
“The term is used by Brazilians to describe national pride in the Brazilian way of life. Mirroring their approach to football it symbolises emotion, pride and goodwill to all,” the statement read.
According to FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke the vote marks the first time fans have been directly involved in the naming of the World Cup ball.
“I’m sure that the Brazuca will go down in history together with other iconic World Cup balls such as the Tango in Argentina in 1978 and the Azteca in Mexico in 1986,” Valcke said.
FIFA said the ball was still being developed and tested. The launch is not expected until the 2014 event.
- Ronaldo defends Valcke's criticism of Brazil - Mar 09, 2012
- Armadillo to be 2014 FIFA World Cup mascot - Sep 12, 2012
- Brazil request Valcke's removal from World Cup negotiations - Mar 04, 2012
- 'All in one rhythm' slogan for Brazil World Cup - May 30, 2012
- FIFA's secretary-general assures Brazil will be ready for World Cup - Jan 21, 2012
- FIFA official to return to Brazil next week - Apr 03, 2012
- Valcke to return to Brazil for FIFA inspections - Mar 31, 2012
- Bebeto joins Brazil's organising committee for 2014 World Cup - Feb 18, 2012
- FIFA raises 2014 World Cup concerns with Brazil - Dec 17, 2011
- FIFA concerned about Brazil's preparedness for 2014 World Cup - Mar 03, 2012
- Brazil lags 95 percent in 2014 Football World Cup work - May 24, 2012
- Brazilians want greater say in World Cup mascot name - Sep 21, 2012
- 'Alcoholic beverages will be sold during 2014 World Cup' - Mar 16, 2012
- 2014 World Cup to be best ever: Ronaldo - Mar 18, 2012
- FIFA's regional development inaugurated in Delhi - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: azteca, balls, body fifa, bossa nova, brazilians, emotion, goodwill, governing body, launch, match ball, national pride, public poll, rio de janeiro, secretary general, tango, time fans, way of life, world cup, world football, xinhua