FIFA mulling new goal-line technology, option of using extra officialsOctober 12th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 12(ANI): FIFA is examining the prospect of using technology to assist match officials to avoid a repeat of the controversial calls which plagued this year’s World Cup in South Africa.
The debate over using technology to help match officials was sparked after England midfielder Frank Lampard’s ‘goal’ was ruled out against Germany in the World Cup quarterfinal even though the ball bounced over the line.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter said that the international governing body of football was studying 13 goal-line technology systems that could lead to more accurate officiating in matches.
Blatter said that the entire project proposals were presented last week, and will be further discussed at an October 20 meeting of its rule-making body, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the Telegraph reports.
The panel is also scheduled to discuss worldwide trials using additional officials behind each goal to help referees rule on goal-line judgments and penalty-area decisions.
Football laws can be changed at the IFAB’s annual meeting, which will be held in March.
- FIFA President finally apologises for Lampard 'goal', vows technology review - Jun 29, 2010
- Goal-line technology lined-up for Premier League - Jul 07, 2012
- Football authority clears use of goal-line technology - Jul 06, 2012
- Sleeping giant India is slowly waking up: Blatter - Mar 09, 2012
- FIFA likely to give go-ahead to proposed goal-line technology - Feb 18, 2011
- Apologetic Blatter opens door for video technology - Jun 29, 2010
- Disallowed England goal reverberates around world - Jun 27, 2010
- FIFA remain silent on refereeing controversy - Jun 28, 2010
- Football matches can now have five referees - Jul 06, 2012
- FIFA: Mistakes by referees sparks debate - Jun 28, 2010
- FIFA says no to extra referees for 2010 World Cup - Dec 03, 2009
- FIFA chief Blatter gets an OBE! - Jul 15, 2010
- World Cup over for refs Rosetti, Larrionda - Jun 30, 2010
- Hawk-Eye 'can make goal-line calls in half a second', says inventor - Oct 21, 2010
- FIFA may for the first time sanction five referees for 2010 World Cup - Dec 01, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,