FIFA concerned about Brazil’s preparedness for 2014 World CupMarch 3rd, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 3 (IANS) Football’s world governing body FIFA has raised serious concerns about Brazil’s preparations for the 2014 World Cup saying that “things are not moving in Brazil”.
FIFA’s secretary general Jerome Valcke raised the prospect of transport and accommodation chaos for fans.
“I am sorry to say but things are not working in Brazil. You expect more support, there are these endless discussions about the World Cup bill. We should have received these documents signed by 2007 and we are in 2012,” Valcke was quoted as saying by Daily Mail.
“In 2014 we will have a World Cup. The concern is nothing is made or prepared to receive so many people because the world wants to go to Brazil. You have to push yourself, and just deliver this World Cup and that is what we will do,” he added.
Valcke said the stadiums too were not on schedule and that there was no alternative host for the tournament besides warning that the fans could suffer.
“I don’t understand why things are not moving. The stadiums are not any more on schedule and why are a lot of things late?”
“Let’s say in Salvador you have England versus Holland and you have 12 per cent of the stadium English fans and 12 per cent Holland, that’s 24 per cent of 60,000 fans,” said Valcke.
- Ronaldo defends Valcke's criticism of Brazil - Mar 09, 2012
- Brazil request Valcke's removal from World Cup negotiations - Mar 04, 2012
- FIFA's secretary-general assures Brazil will be ready for World Cup - Jan 21, 2012
- FIFA raises 2014 World Cup concerns with Brazil - Dec 17, 2011
- FIFA official to return to Brazil next week - Apr 03, 2012
- Brazil lags 95 percent in 2014 Football World Cup work - May 24, 2012
- 'All in one rhythm' slogan for Brazil World Cup - May 30, 2012
- World cup hosts Russia better organised than Brazil: Blatter - Jan 21, 2012
- FIFA scolds Brazil over delays in 2014 World Cup preparations - May 06, 2010
- FIFA names World Cup ball Brazuca - Sep 03, 2012
- Bebeto joins Brazil's organising committee for 2014 World Cup - Feb 18, 2012
- Valcke to return to Brazil for FIFA inspections - Mar 31, 2012
- Infrastructure on track for 2014 World Cup in Brazil - Sep 15, 2011
- FIFA announces Confederation Cup venues - Oct 21, 2011
- FIFA support India for U-17 and 2022 World Cup - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: accommodation, body fifa, brazil, chaos, daily mail, endless discussions, england, english fans, holland, jerome valcke, london march, preparedness, secretary general, serious concerns, stadiums, world cup, world governing body