Fielding still a concern for DhoniMarch 7th, 2011 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 6 (IANS) Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni said Sunday though their bowling is slowly improving in the 2011 World Cup, the fielding continues to be a cause of worry.
Dhoni, who has been a vocal crictic of the team’s sloppy fielding, said the players need to raise their standards.
“We got ourselves in a great position after losing two early wickets. An extra 40 runs would have been interesting. We are a fighting side. We got three early wickets, there was spin in the pitch,” Dhoni said after India defeated Ireland by five wickets.
“Everyone got a chance to bat, everyone was under pressure, it was very good exposure for the batsmen. We are showing signs of improvement in bowling. Our good fielders can get better, the slowers fielders will remain the same.”
With the victory, India climbed to the top of Group B with five points from three matches. They beat bangaldesh in the first match and tied with England in the second. India next play the Netherlands in Delhi March 9, South Africa in Nagpur March 12 and the West Indies in Chennai March 20.
“There are three games left, there’s no reason we can’t beat any of those teams.”
Dhoni praised Ireland for giving the hosts a tough fight.
“I think the Irish fielders backed up their bowlers very well. Ireland made 207 but looked like 240.”
- Yuvraj stars with bat and ball to take India home (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- West Indies crush Bangladesh by nine wickets (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- We have not played to our potential: Dhoni - Aug 13, 2011
- We cannot improve our fielding: Dhoni - Feb 28, 2011
- India can try out their options against the Netherlands (Preview) - Mar 08, 2011
- Unfazed Ireland looks ahead for better performance - Mar 07, 2011
- Series satisfying, quickies need to improve: Dhoni - Oct 26, 2011
- We will have to be at our best against India: Ireland coach - Mar 04, 2011
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Team needs discipline in batting, bowling and fielding to beat Proteas: Dhoni - Dec 31, 2010
- South Africa in World Cup quarters with clinical display against Ireland (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Yuvraj steals the thunder from defiant Ireland (Diary) - Mar 06, 2011
- Fielding an area of concern: Dhoni - Feb 20, 2011
- Dhoni criticizes batsmen's shot selection - Feb 12, 2012
- India looking to make the most against Netherlands - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: bangalore, bowlers, bowling, chennai, dhoni, fielders, five points, hosts, indian skipper, ireland, match, nagpur, pitch, signs, south africa, three games, victory, west indies, wickets, world cup