FIA summons Renault to answer charges

September 5th, 2009 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS  

Paris, Sep 5 (DPA) Motorsport’s governing body FIA has asked Formula One team Renault to appear before a meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council to answer a series of charges.
AN FIA statement said the meeting would be held September 21.

“Renault has to answer charges, including a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code, that the team conspired with its driver, Nelson Piquet Jr, to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix with the aim of causing the deployment of the safety car to the advantage of its other driver, Fernando Alonso,” FIA said.

Renault is accused of having deliberately instigated a crash at last year’s Grand Prix in Singapore, which Alonso won after he was the only driver to have undertaken a fuel stop before the safety car phase.

McLaren-Mercedes were in 2007 fined a record $100 million after having been found guilty of an offence under the same Article.

If found guilty Renault will face a huge fine and could be banned from competing for a period.

Grand Prix supremo Bernie Ecclestone is believed to be worried that Renault, who are considered to be contemplating withdrawing from Formula One, could pull out if they are found guilty.

Renault is yet to comment on the accusations.

Piquet Jr was earlier this year sacked by Renault after putting in a string of unimpressive performances. Since then, he had criticised Renault team principal Flavio Briatore.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe