FIA expresses regret about decision on new series

June 19th, 2009 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS  

Hamburg, June 19 (DPA) The ruling motorsport body FIA Friday expressed its disappointment about the decision of eight teams to form a new series, and said it would announce its own lineup Saturday.
The team’s umbrella organisation FOTA had early Friday split from the FIA in the wake of a budget cap row. Its teams Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, BMW-Sauber, Brawn GP, Toyota, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Renault said they will start setting up a new series.

FIA said in a statement: “The FIA is disappointed but not surprised by FOTA’s inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport.

“It is clear that elements within FOTA have sought this outcome throughout the prolonged period of negotiation and have not engaged in the discussions in good faith.”

The FIA reiterated that cost-cutting is a must in the current economic climate and that it alone lays down the rules.

“The FIA cannot permit a financial arms race in the Championship nor can the FIA allow FOTA to dictate the rules of Formula One,” it said.

The FIA said it will announce its new lineup Saturday, after a Friday night deadline expired.

FIA unveiled 13 teams for the 2010 season last week. They included the current outfits Force India and Williams, the new teams Campos, Manor and US F1.

The eight FOTA teams were also listed, Ferrari, Red Bull and Toro Rosso without conditions, the other five (McLaren-Mercedes, Brawn GP, Renault, Toyota and BMW-Sauber) provisionally, pending their dropping of conditions.

The FIA said over the past days that several other applicants were on hand to fill the ranks in the case of a split.

“The deadline for unconditional entries to the 2010 FIA Formula World Championship will expire this evening. The 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship entry list will be announced tomorrow,” FIA said.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe