Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP finalNovember 24th, 2011 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 24 (IANS) Spain’s David Ferrer thrashed world No.1 Novak Djokovic in straight sets, earning a semi-final berth at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
Ferrer, ranked No.5 in the world, took all his serve games and broke twice in each set, beating Djokovic 6-3, 6-1 in 76 minutes here Wednesday.
Ferrer became the second player to reach the semi-finals after Swiss maestro Roger Federer grabbed his spot with two wins in Group B Tuesday.
“I am very motivated. I am in the semi-finals. I want to enjoy this moment. I don’t want to think about the semi-final on Saturday,” Ferrer was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Djokovic, who clinched 10 titles including three Grand Slams this season, made 33 unforced errors in the match, said he had no words to explain the defeat.
“It was the worst match I’ve played this season so far, definitely,” said the Serbian. “So many unforced errors. I’m not playing well. That’s a fact.”
Coming to London with a 69-4 record this season, Djokovic fought hard to edge out world No. 7 Tomas Berdych 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(3) in his opening match Monday.
“I wasn’t on my best in the first match, but I managed to kind of get into the rhythm in the second set,” said the 24-year-old. “This match, I have no words to explain. Nothing was going well.”
Djokovic will face countryman Janko Tipsarevic in his last group A match after the world No.9 replaced injured Andy Murray to join the competition from the second round and lost a close match to Berdych 6-2, 3-6, 6-7(6).
“There is still a chance,” said Djokovic. “But if I don’t play at least 50% better than I did tonight. I don’t think I will have any chance.”
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Berdych seals semis berth in World Tour Finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Djokovic struggles to beat Berdych, Murray loses to Ferrer - Nov 22, 2011
- Murray storms into US Open final - Sep 09, 2012
- Berdych saves match point, clinches deciding tiebreak against Tipsarevic - Nov 24, 2011
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Federer adds more records on way to London final - Nov 27, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic into semis; Nadal, Murray, Roddick reach quarters - Sep 09, 2011
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Djokovic to face Ferrer in Sony Ericsson Open quarters - Mar 28, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Djokovic eases through, Li Na exits at US Open (Lead) - Aug 31, 2011
- Djokovic cruises past Ferrer in Miami - Mar 30, 2012
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: andy murray, atp world tour, barclays, berth, close match, countryman, david ferrer, grand slams, janko tipsarevic, novak djokovic, roger federer, s david, semi finals, semis, serbian, straight sets, thrashes, tomas berdych, unforced errors, xinhua