Ferrari to auction F1 items to help Italian quake victimsJune 1st, 2012 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, June 1 (IANS/AKI) Automobile giant Ferrari will auction a luxury sports car and Formula 1 memorabilia to help in relief efforts in Italy where two earthquakes killed at least 23 people and left around 20,000 homeless.
“At the beginning of next week we’ll hold a big global auction via the internet, even putting cars up for grabs to help the families of victims that were for the most part labourers,” said Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo.
Among the items to be put on auction, there will be a Ferrari 599XX Evo, valued at 1.3 million euros, according to La Stampa, a daily owned by the Agnelli family which controls Ferrari corporate parent Fiat.
Other objects to be sold are Formula 1 memorabilia like helmets and racing uniforms belonging to Ferrari drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.
The quakes that hit Emilia Romagna region last month caused modern and ancient structures to crack and crumble. The government has estimated damage at five billion euros.
- Ferrari denies rift between drivers - Apr 21, 2010
- 18th century tower crumbles in Italy - Jun 04, 2012
- Italians won't buy used car from Balotelli, PM - Aug 07, 2012
- Ferrari to modify name of race car after spat with Ford - Feb 12, 2011
- Italy quake causes $250 mn loss to farmers - May 21, 2012
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Italian politician jumps to death - May 09, 2012
- 8,000 agro jobs at risk due to Italy quakes - Jun 06, 2012
- Ferrari chief says Berlusconi must resign - Nov 01, 2011
- 'Gucci' Fiat 500 unveiled at Milan Fashion Week - Feb 25, 2011
- Alonso is toughest rival, says Massa - Sep 14, 2012
- Upgrades give Alonso a title shot: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Unesco to help Italy preserve Pompeii - Dec 01, 2011
- Fiat profit more than doubled in fourth quarter - Feb 03, 2012
- Fiat not to leave Italy amid sales plunge - Sep 19, 2012
Tags: agnelli family, ancient structures, earthquakes, felipe massa, fernando alonso, ferrari, fiat, five billion, formula 1, global auction, grabs, helmets, homeless, la stampa, labourers, luxury sports car, montezemolo, quake victims, quakes, relief efforts