Fernando Gonzalez quits Chilean Davis Cup squadMay 29th, 2009 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Santiago, May 29 (Xinhua) World No 12 tennis player Fernando Gonzalez decided not to renew his Davis Cup contract with the Tennis Federation of Chile.
In a letter to the federation, Gonzalez said he would not renew his contract that ends in August.
Gonzalez, now in Paris for the French Open, decided to leave the team protesting the federation making public its contract with him.
Last week, 200 tennis players, coaches and former players supported Gonzalez’ protests.
The other Chilean players — Nicolas Massu and Paul Capdeville — will remain with the team and play Austria in September.
- Nadal out as Davis Cup champion Spain faces France - Jul 06, 2010
- Spain in strife with 2-0 Davis Cup deficit against France - Jul 10, 2010
- France coach Laurent Blanc resigns - Jul 01, 2012
- Didier Deschamps quits Marseille - Jul 02, 2012
- Deschamps is new France coach - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: India sack chief TT coach - Aug 02, 2012
- Alex Corretja named Spain's Davis Cup captain - Dec 28, 2011
- French title will not get Sania-Bhupathi London ticket - Jun 08, 2012
- Spain chooses Seville to host Davis Cup final - Oct 06, 2011
- France coach Blanc to suspends entire World Cup squad - Jul 23, 2010
- Nadal could miss Spain's Davis Cup semi-final against France - Sep 14, 2011
- Federer turns to Sampras mentor in bid to revive career - Jul 27, 2010
- Sanchez's injury could hurt Chile in World Cup qualifiers - Sep 13, 2011
- Tens of thousands march in Chile for better schools - Aug 29, 2012
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011