Ferguson, Khawaja selection is good news for HusseyNovember 9th, 2010 - 2:44 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov.9 (ANI): The selection of Usman Khwaja and Callum Ferguson for the Australia A game against England starting in Hobart on November 17, suggests the Australian selectors will stick with incumbent middle order for the opening Test of the Ashes in Brisbane on November 25.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Mike Hussey looks safe with chief selector Andrew Hilditch saying that his previous deeds for Australia and his career average of 50 will be considered at the selection meeting later this week.
Western Australian captain Marcus North has also been under pressure with his five career Test centuries sprinkled among numerous low scores.
The Ashes squad will be named on Monday - before the Australia A game - and Hildtich conceded that selectors have had a firm preference for the Australian squad for some time.
Ferguson and Khawaja are the players applying the most pressure on Hussey and North, and their performances against England could make them next in line should Australia lose the First Test and either Hussey or North fail in Brisbane.
Phil Hughes is still the top contender for a top order position should Australian opener Simon Katich not prove his fitness before the opening Test.
The team is as follows: Australia A: Cameron White (capt, Vic), Tim Paine (v-capt, Tas), Mark Cameron (NSW), Callum Ferguson (SA), Peter George (SA), Phil Hughes (NSW), Usman Khawaja (NSW), Shaun Marsh* (WA), Steve O’Keefe (NSW), Steve Smith (NSW), Mitchell Starc (NSW). (ANI)
- 'Pop-Gun' Pom bowling attack to take on Australia 'A' batters in Tasmania - Nov 10, 2010
- Australia's middle order 'cup of woe runneth over' - Nov 17, 2010
- Border backs besieged Hussey, North to lift their game - Nov 17, 2010
- Batsmen in 'Australia A' team in contention for Ashes spot: Hilditch - Nov 09, 2010
- Ponting, Watson, replace Warner, Ferguson for ODI series against Sri Lanka - Oct 26, 2010
- Pressure piling on North, Hussey to deliver before Ashes - Nov 01, 2010
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
- Ashes: NSW's Usman Khawaja called in as cover for injured Clarke - Nov 22, 2010
- Pak-born Khawaja becomes first Muslim to represent Australia in Test cricket - Jun 22, 2010
- Oz selectors have put middle order on notice, says ex-player Julian - Nov 15, 2010
- Hughes shoulder dislocation provides opportunity for others - May 07, 2010
- Khawaja, Beer to make debuts in Sydney Ashes Test - Jan 02, 2011
- Clarke to lead Australia in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Oz Ashes disaster looms as batsmen crumble in domestic games ahead of opener - Nov 18, 2010
- Beer in, North, Bollinger and Doherty axed from Oz squad - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: australian captain, australian selectors, callum, cameron white, capt vic, career average, career test, first test, khawaja, khwaja, mark cameron, mike hussey, o keefe, phil hughes, steve smith, sydney morning herald, sydney nov, tim paine, top contender, usman