Ferguson brushes off Rooney ’sexcapade’ talk ahead of Everton clashSeptember 11th, 2010 - 1:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 11(ANI): Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to discuss striker Wayne Rooney’s current off-field problems ahead of Saturday’s Premier League match against Everton.
Rooney is under immense public glare following revelations about his private life, and accusations that he used 1,200 pounds-a-night prostitutes while his wife Coleen was pregnant with son Kai.
“Let’s put it to bed straightaway. I am not discussing any of my players’ personal lives,” The BBC quoted Ferguson, as saying.
Ferguson was further determined to focus on what his team can expect on the field.
“We know the dangers of Everton. We got slaughtered by them last season, well and truly beaten,” Ferguson said.
“The atmosphere is always good there. It’s a hard place to go, but it’s also a fantastic place to go and we’ve got a good record there,” he added.
Earlier, it was reported that United was considering dropping Rooney for the match, despite his goal in England’s 3-1 Euro 2012 win against Switzerland on Tuesday.
“Everyone has assumed Wayne will play because of how bravely he performed in Basel, but playing hundreds of miles away in Switzerland is a lot different to stepping out at Goodison Park, where there will be a lot of hatred and abuse flying around - all of it directed at Wayne,” an Old Trafford insider said,
“How can anyone give their best for 90 minutes in front of a baying crowd with all that turmoil going on in their private life,” he added.
It is believed that Ferguson would leave it until the last minute before deciding whether the striker is in the right frame of mind to face Everton. (ANI)
- Rooney may be dropped for Everton clash over 'slanging over sexcapade' fears - Sep 10, 2010
- Ferguson backs Rooney to 'prove his worth' against Rangers - Sep 14, 2010
- Ferguson asks Rooney to sort out sexcapade daemons - Sep 12, 2010
- Everton fans likely to give Man U's Rooney a roasting for sexcapade - Sep 09, 2010
- Ferguson warns Rooney against sexcapade repeat - Sep 13, 2010
- Rooney has best team and manager to help him beat his sexcapade daemons: Beckham - Sep 11, 2010
- Coleen Rooney 'snubs Wayne for ailing sister' - Sep 19, 2010
- I was never going to leave Man U: Rooney - Oct 27, 2010
- Coleen trusts Rooney again, prepares to go on holiday without him - Dec 26, 2010
- Wayne Rooney follows Coleen to Prague in bid to mend marriage - Oct 04, 2010
- Wayne Rooney's wife 'to listen to his side of story over hooker claims' - Sep 08, 2010
- Rooney branded a 'whore' by fans for wanting to quit Man U - Oct 21, 2010
- Wayne Rooney's 90-minute reunion with son - Sep 11, 2010
- Rooney enrolls son Kai at soccer school to make him footie star - Mar 19, 2011
- Man U's bemused Fergie tells shifty Roo to respect club and its traditions - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: accusations, alex ferguson, basel, brushes, euro 2012, fantastic place, frame of mind, glare, hatred, hundreds of miles, manchester united, old trafford, personal lives, premier league, private life, prostitutes, revelations, sep 11, sir alex ferguson, wayne rooney