Fergie issues axe threat to `starry-eyed” Man U playersMarch 4th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.4 (ANI): Manchester United coach Alex Ferguson has warned that player in the team acting like a star who believes that the Premier League has been won, will be axed.
Manchester United are top and chasing five trophies after the Carling Cup victory.
Ahead of tonights Newcastle clash, boss Fergie said: Anyone thinking its over will have one go at it, it will be their last. We have plenty of bodies.
Fergusons reaction comes two days after Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp revealed that he was convinced Manchester United could make history this season by winning five trophies, though Ferguson refuses to even discuss the prospect. Redknapp said: Theyve got a big chance of winning the lot. Theyre the team to beat and have a fantastic squad. The leagues going their way, for sure. You wouldnt bet against them to win the Champions League and itll be the big four in the semi-finals of the FA Cup. Redknapp believes Fergusons desire for silverware also remains unquenchable.
Yesterday, he played rookies Danny Welbeck and Darron Gibson from the start but when the going got tough the big guns were on.
Redknapp added: Lets be honest, we played the best team in Europe. It wasnt their kids.
They started with two, but they came off pretty lively. Vidic comes on, Giggs comes on. That back four they ended up with is very strong.
When theres a trophy to be won, Alex wants to win. Makes no mistake, hes not going to play a load of kids and, if they get beat, say unlucky.
Ferguson is trying to calm talk about winning five trophies. He said: The great advantage I have is I wont get carried away with it.
Fergie has won 31 trophies in more than 22 years and Ryan Giggs, 35, brought on as a second-half sub added: The hunger he has rubs off on the players. (ANI)
- Spurs boss believes Man U can lift five titles - Mar 02, 2009
- Ferguson set to axe seven flop Man U players for crucial tie against City - Jan 05, 2010
- City go top after beating United - May 01, 2012
- Fergie wants 'incredible' Giggs to play for another 10 years - Apr 27, 2011
- Ferguson gets 100-mn pounds to buy new players - Dec 04, 2010
- "The manager is as good as ever and will go on for a long time", says Giggs - Jul 25, 2010
- Man U can win Premier League crown back from Chelsea: Ferguson - Aug 09, 2010
- Sir Alex Ferguson sees 'Fergie Fledglings' in current Man U brigade - Dec 01, 2009
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Ferguson determined to end Chelsea's Premier League reign at top - Aug 14, 2010
- Not worried about Arsenal, Chelsea, now we feel like champions: Fergie - Apr 24, 2011
- Ferguson at risk of another FA rap over referee 'conspiracy' comment - May 02, 2011
- Champions League: Fergie knows his Man U stars are unbeatable - Feb 24, 2011
- Man U fans, a divided house over Fergie fielding weakened line-up in FA Cup semis - Apr 21, 2009
- Man U will claim 19th title beating Chelsea, Arsenal: Fergie - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: 22 years, alex ferguson, big guns, carling cup, champions league, coach alex, cup victory, darron gibson, eyed man, fa cup, harry redknapp, manchester united, premier league, rookies, ryan giggs, semi finals, silverware, trophies, vidic, welbeck