Fergie hails ‘unstoppable’ Rooney for his double strike against MilanFebruary 17th, 2010 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 17 (ANI): Ace striker Wayne Rooney was simply unstoppable against AC Milan, as he took his goal tally for the season to 25 giving Manchester United control of their Champions League clash.
Rooney’s double strike gave United their first-ever win at San Siro.
“Wayne carried on the form that he has been showing recently - and it has been unstoppable form. They just could not handle him in the second half, he was marvellous.
“This season, and in particular the last two months, has seen a development in his game and confidence has had a lot to do with that,” said United boss Alex Ferguson.
“He has always had the basic ability to be up there with the best players in the world. What he had to do was improve his goal scoring, which he is now doing.
“If he continues to do that in the way he is at the moment, he must be regarded alongside the best in the world. He has 25 goals already this season and will certainly break the 30-goal barrier,” The Sun quoted Ferguson, as saying.
Rooney was delighted with the result, but felt some of his team-mates had not been up to speed in the first half.
In a clear dig at Nani, who fluffed a series of crosses, Rooney said: “Some people were not doing their jobs properly. We played well in the second half but were disappointed to concede a goal at the end. Having said that, it’s a great result to take back.”
United fell behind in the third minute to a deflected Ronaldinho shot before Paul Scholes hit a lucky 36th-minute leveller.
Rooney grabbed his double before Clarence Seedorf got one back with five minutes to go. (ANI)
- Ronaldinho ready to face former Milan teammate Seedorf - Aug 18, 2012
- Dutch star Seedorf scores first goal for Botafogo - Aug 05, 2012
- Next three weeks crucial for Manchester United's bid for a second Treble - Feb 23, 2011
- City go top after beating United - May 01, 2012
- Seedorf double inspires Botafogo - Sep 06, 2012
- Rooney can beat Ronaldo's 42-goal record: Ferguson - Mar 11, 2010
- Fergie warns beware of AC Milan kill or be haunted by Seedrof's ghost forever - Mar 10, 2010
- Rooney tells Nani: Keep supplying to keep score board moving - Feb 03, 2011
- Football writers name Van Persie Player of the Year - Apr 25, 2012
- Ronaldinho scores in Atletico's 4-1 victory - Jul 22, 2012
- Fergie says Roo is as big as Becks - Feb 16, 2010
- David Luiz vindicates Chelsea's faith in him - Mar 02, 2011
- Berbatov set 30-goal target, assured of long-term Man U future - Jan 29, 2011
- Juventus beat AC Milan in first leg of Coppa Italia semifinals - Feb 09, 2012
- Ferguson's wife saw Rooney's FA ban coming - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: ac milan, ace, alex ferguson, boss, champions league, clarence seedorf, clash, crosses, five minutes, goal tally, last two months, london feb, manchester united, nani, paul scholes, ronaldinho, san siro, second half, team mates, wayne rooney