Fergie admits that his Euro gamble has backfiredApril 8th, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.8 (ANI): Manchester United coach-cum-manager Alex Ferguson has admitted that his Euro gamble backfired.
The United boss went ahead with Sunday’s TV clash against Aston Villa, rather than bring it forward 24 hours.
“We showed tiredness because of the gamble I took playing Sunday which was not the best preparation. But we faced a situation and we took the best option hoping a European occasion would bring the adrenalin up,” The Sun quoted Fergie, as saying.Fergie wanted to give his top stars an extra day to rest at the weekend after returning from international duty. Now he admits his team face a battle to defend their Champions League title when they go to Porto next Wednesday for the second leg of the last-eight tie.
The Scot, however, slammed his defence for allowing the visitors an 89th-minute equaliser.
“It’s a difficult job now, not made any better when you know no English team has won in Porto. We will just have to do that,” he said.Porto have won five and drawn six against English sides on their own soil in Europe.
Mariano Gonzalez pounced on sloppy defending to give the Portuguese side a second away goal. United have now conceded 10 times in their last four games.
Fergie, who lost Jonny Evans with a groin injury, said: “It should be a normal situation for Manchester United to see the game out. And it was a terrible goal to lose - we only have ourselves to blame. It shows the fragile nature of our defence at the moment.” (ANI)
- Manchester United defender Evans sidelined for two weeks - Dec 27, 2011
- Defending champion Santos lose in Copa Libertadores - Apr 26, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Fergie says Rio Ferdinand will not be Man U captain - Sep 18, 2010
- Mancini says 'goals, goals, goals' against Manchester City can blow title chances - Jan 19, 2011
- Chelsea lose at home to Villa - Jan 01, 2012
- Fellaini goal stuns Manchester United - Aug 21, 2012
- Fergie flips as Ronaldo quizzed about Man U future - Apr 07, 2009
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
- Fergie relying on 'fit' Ferdinand for match against rivals Liverpool - Mar 03, 2011
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Europa League: Manchester United edge out Ajax, Valencia beat Stoke - Feb 24, 2012
- Brazil select 22 players for Olympic football squad - Jul 06, 2012
- Fergie close to signing Everton whizkid Rodwell - Mar 12, 2011
- Man U youngsters not upto scratch: Ex-full-back - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: adrenalin, alex ferguson, boss, champions league, clash, coach, four games, fragile nature, groin injury, manager alex ferguson, manchester united, mariano gonzalez, porto, pounced, s tv, scot, soil, team face, tiredness, top stars