Female ushers at Olympic opening had to strip naked for measurementsAugust 15th, 2008 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 15 (DPA) The 200 female guides who led each country’s athletes onto the National Stadium during last week’s opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympic Games had to strip to qualify for the job, a local media report said Friday. Thousands of young women from colleges and dance academies in Beijing competed for the chance to appear before a huge worldwide audience.
During the selection process, the women were required to strip so teachers judging whether they were qualified could measure their body proportions, The Beijing News said.
In an interview with one of the girls who competed for the high profile job, the 20-year-old college student Zhang Fan told the paper that the girls were put in a room and teachers measured them with a ruler.
No specifics were given but the measurements were called “bone measurements” which typically include measuring the width of shoulders and waists, length of waists and height.
The women had to be at least 1.66 metres tall, have a pretty face and possess youthful energy, the report said.
Zhang did not qualify but she was later selected to be one of the 400 cheerleaders on the stadium who were the longest performers during the three-and-a-half-hour long extravaganza Aug 8.
Dressed in short white dresses, boots and caps, the women had to constantly dance and cheer, to create a good atmosphere and rouse the audience of 91,000 people at the stadium.
The 400 women also performed the smiling programme - in which they danced and opened umbrellas each with a smiling face on them.
For that three-minute performance, the women had to undergo half a year of training, rising every day at 5 a.m. to get to the practice site by 6 a.m. and returning to their school dormitory as late as 8 p.m. or 9 p.m., Zhang said. Sometimes when the training starts at noon, the women would practice till 1 a.m. or 2 a.m.
They practiced standing in a row at different positions on the stadium, and also rehearsed dance movements and the opening and closing of umbrellas - a simple task which each women had to practice doing for more than 1,000 times, the report said.
Zhang said she smiled so much during practice that her facial muscles stiffened, but she was glad to have been selected.
- Father jailed for strip show at son's wedding - Dec 11, 2011
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympic medal perfect way to end my career: Mary Kom - May 08, 2012
- Three students caned over 300 times for not doing homework - May 20, 2011
- Northeast to showcase its dance, music during Games - Oct 01, 2010
- Kolkata convicts to perform at Mumbai Durga Puja - Oct 02, 2011
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Be in Bangalore for daylong dance fiesta (April 29 is World Dance Day) - Apr 26, 2012
- Young Kolkata footballers live their dreams in Bangkok - Jul 15, 2011
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Three cheers for Indian culture, say IPL's foreign cheerleaders - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Ibibo launches talent hunt for India's first online serial - Jun 28, 2010
- Most Brit women become strippers to pay for their degrees - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: 2008 olympic games, body proportions, cheerleaders, dance academies, half hour, local media, minute performance, olympic games, olympic opening, one of the girls, opening ceremony, pretty face, school dormitory, selection process, smiling face, specifics, ushers, worldwide audience, youthful energy, zhang fan