Felt hurt and wounded at Liverpool: HodgsonFebruary 15th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 15 (ANI): Roy Hodgson, who joined West Brom as their new head coach, has admitted that he was left “hurt and wounded” after being hounded out from Liverpool.
He said Liverpool owner John W Henry was left in a tough position.
“It’s not exactly a secret I wasn’t perceived by many as the manager they wanted at Liverpool, they wanted somebody else. I can’t for one minute suggest I felt wanted at Liverpool,” The Sun quoted Hodgson, as saying.
“I have been lucky - I felt wanted at Fulham and there’s not been many places I’ve not felt wanted. You do feel wounded. I’ve had a very good spell in my career and it was a long while since I’d had a serious knockback,” he said.
“I can’t lie and say it didn’t hurt me or I didn’t care. I care very passionately about my job and football. I’ve had an awful amount of praise and when you get the opposite it’s not something you necessarily embrace,” Hodgson said.
“That makes the job harder. It makes it easier if the fans say ‘we know of him, we know what he can do’. Every time you lose a job your pride takes a hit. I went to Liverpool with the right intentions. But I didn’t really have the time because the new owners decided to make a change early on,” he added.
Hodgson, who admits the England job would still interest him, insists his self-belief has not been dented by the tough six months at Anfield. (ANI)
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Hodgson to take over as West Ham coach next week - Feb 12, 2011
- Liverpool ask Dalglish to look for Benitez's successor - Jun 04, 2010
- Dalglish wants final say on all Liverpool transfer deals - May 04, 2011
- Liverpool boss Hodgson admits his side facing relegation scrap - Oct 04, 2010
- Hodgson says he has backing of Liverpool players and owners - Jan 02, 2011
- Can't wait to play alongside Cole: Gerrard - Jul 21, 2010
- Liverpool to formally approach Fulham for Hodgson - Jun 06, 2010
- Moore taking diving lessons to conquer fear - Jul 30, 2011
- Liverpool in chaos after no news on Hodgson's future - Jan 08, 2011
- Torres calls Liverpool a 'selling club' - Mar 12, 2011
- Hodgson refuses to discuss his Liverpool future - Jan 06, 2011
- 'Crocked' Gerrard's season could be over: Dalglish - Apr 04, 2011
- Furious Hodgson not to condemn Capello after Gerrard's plea - Nov 20, 2010
- Kirsten Dunst admires criticism - Sep 26, 2011