Feels sensational to claim No.1 spot: FlowerAugust 18th, 2011 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 18 (IANS) England coach Andy Flower says that getting to the No.1 spot in Tests was a goal that spurred the whole team against India.
“It feels simply sensational to claim the number-one spot and it comes after a lot of hard training sessions and Test matches. It was a goal that spurred the whole side on and it’s very satisfying to have achieved that goal,” Flower was quoted as saying in ICC Radio Show.
Flower also heaped praise on two ICC Awards 2011 nominees, Alastair Cook and James Anderson.
“Cook has done some amazing things as a player in his 27 years on this earth. With already 19 Test centuries, he can be proud of a very successful career. He is quite hungry for success and has a strong character. He is a good person, modest but strong in his way and good for the dressing room and when he comes out to perform on the field too,” said the former Zimbabwe captain.
Flower said that Anderson has got a lot better over the last few years.
“His learning as a bowler has accelerated. He has had a couple of nice bowling coaches in Ottis Gibson and now David Saker and also a nice group of bowlers to work with. The group talks a lot and works together and creates pressure. Our bowling depth looks ok but I would be reticent to get too starry-eyed about everything. We cannot rest on our laurels,” he said.
- Flower lauds England bowlers for successfully utilising Kookaburra balls - Dec 31, 2010
- Flower fears losing bowling coach Saker to Australia - Oct 28, 2010
- Siddle credits England's bowling coach David Saker for hat-trick - Nov 27, 2010
- Saker hails Anderson as world's best fast bowler - Dec 30, 2010
- Anderson contradicts Pietersen, attributes his success to Moores - Jan 01, 2011
- Anderson credits bowling coach Saker for successful Ashes campaign - Dec 31, 2010
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
- South African bowling coach Donald plans to topple England - Aug 17, 2011
- Dravid rises in rankings, England on course for top spot - Aug 02, 2011
- English bowlers' performance at Lord's poor, says bowling coach - Jun 06, 2011
- India have good chance of going past England in ODI rankings - Oct 12, 2011
- ECB appoints Aussie David Saker as England bowling coach - Apr 09, 2010
- Dravid moves to 10th place in Test rankings, Sachin drops to 5th - Aug 23, 2011
- Flower confident of bowling coach Saker staying on with England - Dec 31, 2010
- Cook an excellent leader: Flower - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: amazing things, andy flower, bowlers, bowling coaches, centuries, coach andy, dressing room, earth, england coach, good person, India, james anderson, laurels, london, ottis gibson, radio show, saker, sessions, test matches, zimbabwe