Federer surpasses Sampras’ featJuly 16th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) The 17-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer set a new record Monday when he surpassed Pete Sampras’ feat to be world number one for the 287th week.
The Swiss great regained the top spot in the ATP rankings after winning the Wimbledon last week and equalled Sampras’ achievement of being number one for 286 weeks.
Federer said he was “extremely proud and honoured to have beaten Pete’s record as he was my childhood hero and I have always looked up to him.”
Sampras was all praises for Federer.
“Great effort. The hardest thing to do in sports is the ability to stay on top. Roger has been able to do so by great play and durability,” the American told the ATP website.
Federer, 31, is guaranteed to keep the numero uno spot through the London Olympics.
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Nadal back on top in ATP rankings after Paris triumph - Jun 07, 2010
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Federer makes history with 15th Grand Slam title - Jul 06, 2009
- Soderling shocks Federer in French Open comeback win - Jun 02, 2010
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Henman believes Federer will eventually tower over Sampras - Jun 09, 2009
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Federer concentrates on tennis amid Swiss football fever - Jun 20, 2010
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Hewitt stuns Federer for Halle title - Jun 13, 2010
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- 'King of Clay' Nadal nearing legend status: McEnroe - Jul 03, 2010
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Federer wasn't making excuses for Wimbledon loss: Bollettieri - Jul 12, 2010