Federer equals Jimmy Connors’ record of Grand Slam victoriesMay 28th, 2012 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 28 (IANS) Roger Federer eased past Germany’s Tomas Kamke 6-2, 7-5, 6-3 in the men’s singles first round of the French Open here Monday, equalling Jimmy Connors’ record of 233 Grand Slam match victories.
The win was Federer’s 50th at Roland Garros which also coincides with his 50th Grand Slam appearance in a row. The Swiss great made his Frenc Open debut in 1999 when he lost to Australia’s Patrick Rafter in the first round. Since then, he has just missed just one Grand Slam and that was the 1999 US Open where he failed to qualify.
Talking about equalling Connors’ feat, Federer said: “It is a big record, because that was longevity. Jimmy is obviously one of the greats of all time, and was around for 20 years.”
“For me, it all started back in ‘99 against Rafter, and I have hardly missed any Grand Slams.
“I love the big tournaments. I have been so successful for such a long time and to already tie that record which is 30 years old is pretty incredible, so I am very happy,” said the 16-time Grand Slam winner.
Federer will break Connors’ record if he wins his second round match against Adrian Ungur of Romania.
- Federer, Djokovic reach quarters of Australian Open - Jan 23, 2011
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Serena Williams loses in first round first time - May 30, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Federer overwhelms Melzer to set up Soderling showdown - Sep 07, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Federer becomes seventh player to record 800 career wins - Nov 12, 2011
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- French Open champion Li Na wants to 'remain the same' - May 26, 2012
- Federer loses to Berdych, seventh Wimbledon title hopes evaporate (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Soderling shocks Federer in French Open comeback win - Jun 02, 2010
- Sampras, Moya join hometown hero Li Na for exhibition tournament - Dec 17, 2011
- Federer fires through to set up Paris rematch; Murray out - May 31, 2010
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: appearance, australia, debut, french open, germany, grand slam victories, grand slam winner, grand slams, jimmy connors, long time, longevity, match, paris, patrick rafter, roger federer, roland garros, romania, swiss