Federer, Djokovic into fourth round of Australian OpenJanuary 21st, 2011 - 4:29 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 21(ANI): Defending champion Roger Federer on Friday breezed into the fourth round of the Australian Open by beating Belgian Xavier Malisse 6-3, 6-3, 6-1.
Federer, who endured a gruelling five-set epic against Gilles Simon in the second round, needed just an hour and 45 minutes to see off the World No.45.
This was the 16-time Grand Slam champion’s 57th career win at the Australian Open, a record for the most victories at the tournament.
Sweden’s Stefan Edberg had held the previous record.
Novak Djokovic was handed an easy passage into the fourth round after Serbian Davis Cup team-mate Viktor Troicki pulled out after one set with a stomach muscle injury.
Andy Roddick, Tomas Berdych and Nicolas Almagro also scored routine third-round wins, the Age reports.
Roddick defeated Robin Haase 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2, 6-2, Berdych brushed aside Richard Gasquet 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2, while Almagro overcame Ivan Ljubicic 6-4, 7-6 (10-8), 6-3. (ANI)
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Federer, Djokovic reach quarters of Australian Open - Jan 23, 2011
- Defending champion Federer cruises into round two of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- Federer survives scare at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Tipsarevic survives Nishikori scare - Jan 08, 2011
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Australian Open: Federer, Nadal cruise into quarters - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open results - Sep 03, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Top seeds have comfortable outing in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Chennai Open tennis: Berdych, Malisse in semis - Jan 07, 2011
- List of Roger Federer's Grand Slam titles - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: andy roddick, australian open, davis cup, davis cup team, defending champion, gilles simon, grand slam champion, gruelling, ivan ljubicic, muscle injury, nicolas almagro, novak djokovic, richard gasquet, robin haase, roger federer, stefan edberg, team mate, tomas berdych, viktor troicki, xavier malisse