Federer crushes Wawrinka, enters Oz Open semi-final for eighth timeJanuary 25th, 2011 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan.25 (ANI): Swiss Grand Slam champion Roger Federer crushed countryman Stanislas Wawrinka in straight sets to reach the Australian Open semi finals on Tuesday.
Federer won 6-1 6-3 6-3 in a match lasting an hour and 47 minutes.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Federer is now through to his eighth consecutive Australian Open semi final.
Wawrinka, who shared a gold medal with Federer in the doubles at the Beijing Olympics, simply had no answers to the Swiss master’s all-round game.
The world No.2 served superbly, hitting the mark with almost 80 per cent of his first ball throughout the match.
He played almost every shot in his repertoire throughout the match, his brilliance forcing Wawrinka to break his racquet at one point as the No.19 seed blew his top in frustration. (ANI)
- Federer beats Hewitt to level Davis Cup play-off at 1-1 - Sep 16, 2011
- Federer, Djokovic reach quarters of Australian Open - Jan 23, 2011
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Switzerland defeats Australia 3-2 in Davis Cup play-off - Sep 19, 2011
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Chennai Open: Wawrinka survives a scare - Jan 05, 2012
- Nadal reaches first US Open final, to face Djokovic - Sep 12, 2010
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Triumphant Nadal paces Spain into US Open quarter-finals - Sep 08, 2010
- Wawrinka survives Goffin scare - Jan 07, 2011
- Triumphant Nadal blows past Verdasco and closer to final - Sep 10, 2010
- Federer arrives in Australia for Davis Cup tie - Sep 14, 2011
- Chennai Open: Soeda puts out champ Wawrinka, Raonic also reaches semis - Jan 06, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: australian open, beijing olympics, brilliance, countryman, daily telegraph, eighth time, frustration, game, gold medal, grand slam champion, hitting the mark, match, melbourne, olympics, roger federer, semi finals, stanislas wawrinka, straight sets