Federer buries Murray for 16th Grand Slam title (Lead)January 31st, 2010 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 31 (DPA) Roger Federer lived up to expectations as he schooled Andy Murray 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (13-11) to win the Australian Open for a fourth time here Sunday.
The world number one claimed his record 16th career Grand Slam singles title from his 22nd major final.
Federer, 28, rallied from 2-5 down in the third set and saved five set points in the dramatic tiebreak, clinching victory on his third match point in two hours and 41 minutes.
Federer has now won three straight contest with Murray after losing four on the trot in 2008 and 2009. The Swiss improved to 5-6 against the third-ranked Scot.
Federer has appeared in 18 of the past 19 Grand Slam finals and now stands just a pair of major titles away from matching Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert’s career achievement of 18.
Federer maintained the status quo as he kept Britain winless at men’s Grand Slam events for nearly three-quarters of a century. Scotland’s Murray had been hailed as the saviour of British tennis as he made his bid to win a major after Fred Perry last did it in 1936.
Federer ran his record in Melbourne to 54-7 as he claimed his fourth title after wins in 2004, 2006 and 2007, beating different opponent each time.
The experienced Swiss backed up his 2008 US Open victory over Murray for that title, another straight-sets sweep.
- Federer wins Australian Open as Murray makes teary exit (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2010
- Federer beats Murray for 7th Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Djokovic stuns defending champion Federer to enter Oz Open final - Jan 27, 2011
- Paes thanks Stepanek for helping him win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Paes brings cheer on a day cricketers cave in - Jan 28, 2012
- Federer blasts Murray to win fourth Australian Open, 16th Grand Slam title - Jan 31, 2010
- Federer out of top three for the first time since 2003 - Oct 17, 2011
- Indian Wells: Federer to face Del Potro in quarters - Mar 15, 2012
- Federer backs Murray to win Oz Open 2011 - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: andy murray, australian open, british tennis, career achievement, career grand slam, chris evert, fred perry, grand slam events, grand slam finals, grand slam singles title, grand slam title, martina navratilova, match point, open victory, roger federer, saviour, straight contest, straight sets, three quarters, tiebreak