Federer, Azarenka top seeds at London OlympicsJuly 24th, 2012 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 24 (IANS) World number one players Roger Federer and Victoria Azarenka will head the list of seeded players in the draws for the London Olympics’ tennis tournament.
The draw will be held at Wimbledon Thursday for the star-packed tennis competition beginning Saturday, Xinhua reports.
Each of the singles tournaments has 64 competitors, with 16 seeds based on the world rankings of June 11.
Reigning Wimbledon champion Federer aims to win his first Olympic singles medal, having captured mixed doubles gold with Stanislas Wawrinka at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Second-ranked Novak Djokovic is the defending bronze medallist and fourth-ranked Andy Murray looks to win a medal on home soil.
Reigning gold medallist Rafael Nadal was forced to withdraw from the event with knee tendinitis.
In women’s category, Belarussian Azarenka will lead the pack of top ten players in the prestigious event to be held at All England Club.
The doubles events will each contain 32 teams, with eight seeded pairs selected at the discretion of the International Tennis Federation (ITF).
If there are two players or doubles teams from the same National Olympic Committee (NOC) in any event, they will be drawn in opposite halves of the draw. If there are three or four players or teams from the same NOC, they will be drawn into different quarters of the draw.
The draw for the 16-team mixed doubles, based on the rankings of June 11, will be held July 31.
Players can only enter the mixed doubles event if they are competing in at least one of the other four events.
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Sania's quarterfinal match stoppped - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Lin Dan seeded second for Olympic badminton draw - Jul 22, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sonia, Somdev get wild card entry for London Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, andy murray, bronze medallist, england club, gold medallist, home soil, international tennis federation, knee tendinitis, london olympics, mixed doubles, national olympic committee, novak djokovic, prestigious event, rafael nadal, roger federer, seeded players, stanislas wawrinka, tennis competition, tennis tournament, victoria azarenka