Fed Cup: India relegated to Asia Oceania Zone Group IIFebruary 8th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Perth, Feb 7 (IANS) The Indian women’s team were relegated to Asia Oceania Zone Group II in Fed Cup tennis after losing 0-3 in the play-off against Chinese Taipei here Saturday.
Having lost all the three pool matches, India finished fourth and had to beat Chinese Taipei, the bottom placed team from Pool B, to stay in Group I.
But like the three earlier ties, India failed to register even a single win.
Rushmi Chakravarthi lost the first match to I-Hsuan Hwang 2-6, 5-7. Ankita Bhambri then went down to Chin-Wei Chan 5-7, 1-6.
Ankita and her sister Sanaa then lost the doubles to Chin-Wei Chan and Chia-Jung Chuang 4-6, 2-6.
India were playing in the tournament without Sania Mirza, who pulled out because of abdominal muscle tear.
Meanwhile, Australia beat New Zealand 3-0 in the final to qualify for a playoff for a place in the World Group II in April.
Comeback queen Jelena Dokic beat Diane Hollands 6-4, 6-4 in a hard-fought match before
Australia’s top-ranked player Samantha Stosur despatched the world’s No.57, Marina Erakovic, 6-1, 6-4 to give Australia an unassailable 2-0 lead.
In doubles, Casey Dellacqua and Rennae Stubbs beat Shona Lee and Kairangi Vano 6-2,
6-2 to complete the whitewash.
Australia have not held a Group I place since 2004 and were last in Group II in 2007.
- Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- Pattaya Open: Sania in singles, doubles quarterfinals - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian to take on New Zealand in Fed Cup tennis - Feb 03, 2009
- Pattaya Open: Sania out of singles, doubles hopes alive - Feb 10, 2012
- Wimbledon: Bhupathi in mixed doubles semifinal; Sania, Paes lose - Jul 02, 2011
- Tennis gold-silver, archery bronze take India's Asiad tally to 36 (Evening Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- Davis Cup: Bopanna loses to Nishikori, India trail 0-2 - Sep 16, 2011
- India's Asiad tally rises to 36, nine medals assured in boxing (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2010
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
- Sunitha, Sanaa lose as Indian campaign ends - Nov 20, 2008
- Sunitha in pre-quarters in ITF women’s tennis - Nov 18, 2008
- India beat Pakistan 3-2 in Asiad hockey; silver, bronze take tally to 22 (Evening Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in semis - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympic qualifying: Men paddlers top groups, Ankita in second stage - Apr 19, 2012
- Murray's road to US Open title - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: abdominal muscle, ankita bhambri, asia oceania, casey dellacqua, chia jung chuang, chinese taipei, comeback queen, fed cup, fed cup tennis, hwang, jelena dokic, marina erakovic, rennae stubbs, samantha stosur, sania mirza, shona, vano, whitewash, world group, zone group