Fast bowler Asif may be fined for Dubai misadventureMay 30th, 2009 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, May 30 (IANS) Pakistan’s dope-tainted pacer Mohammad Asif is expected to be
slapped with a hefty fine for his Dubai misadventure last summer.
Sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) told IANS Saturday that the probe committee appointed to investigate into Asif’s 19-day detention in Dubai last June for possession of a banned substance has recommended action against the player.
However, instead of recommending a ban on the player the committee has advised the PCB to hand him a hefty of fine of up to two million rupees for a breach of discipline.
Sources said that the fines will be imposed on Asif after a final hearing of the probe committee to be held in Lahore June 3.
Earlier this month, Asif was given one more chance to prove he was not deported from the United Arab Emirates last year for possession of opium.
Asif, who has taken 51 wickets from 11 Test matches, and claimed 36 dismissals from 31 one-day internationals, had verbally informed the committee that he was not deported after he was detained for 19 days in Dubai last June when 0.24 grams of opium was found in his wallet at the airport.
The 26-year-old pacer was banned for one year by the Indian Premier League last September for testing positive for the steroid nandrolone during the tournament.
The PCB plans to consider Asif for national selection once his ban is over, but formed a committee to investigate his UAE detention.
In 2006, Asif was suspended for one year by the PCB after testing positive for nandrolone, but the ban was overturned on appeal.
- Asif's absence angers Pakistan cricket board's probe committee - May 11, 2009
- PCB committee recommends a hefty fine on Asif for Dubai misadventure - May 31, 2009
- PCB recommends two million rupees fine for Mohammad Asif for Dubai misadventure - Jun 04, 2009
- PCB fines Asif over Dubai misadventure - Jul 02, 2009
- PCB fines Asif for Dubai drugs detention - Jul 02, 2009
- PCB says UAE clearance for banned Asif too late - Apr 13, 2011
- Asif barred entry in UAE for New Zealand ODI - Oct 19, 2009
- Asif gets one-year IPL ban for positive dope test - Jan 30, 2009
- PCB unsure of Asif in series against Kiwis - Oct 17, 2009
- Butt believes Asif will be back in Pakistan squad soon - Jan 23, 2009
- PCB assures Asif of fair trial under its anti-doping regulations - Jan 21, 2009
- Asif appears before PCB committee probing Dubai detention case - Jan 31, 2009
- Pakistani Senators want life ban on dope-tainted Asif - Jan 13, 2009
- Charges proved against Asif in Dubai case - Jan 11, 2009
- PCB reopens Asif's Dubai detention case - Jan 13, 2009
Tags: day internationals, dismissals, june 3, karachi, lahore, last september, misadventure, mohammad asif, national selection, omar khalid, opium, pacer, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, premier league, rupees, steroid nandrolone, test matches, united arab emirates, wickets