Fans welcome KKR players to KolkataMay 29th, 2012 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 28 (IANS) Over a thousand frenzied cricket fans, many of thembeating drums and chanting “KKR, KKR”, welcomed Indian Premier League champions Kolkata Knight Riders’ players as they arrived “home” lateMonday night.
The people, who waited for hours at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport for a glimpse of the team members, carried KKR flags and waved big cutouts of the franchisee co-owner Shah Rukh Khan and the players.
Several of the fans painted their faces in colours of the KKR jerseys.
As the players, tired but cheerful, walked out one after another from the airport terminal, they were received on a makeshift stage with bouquets and garlands by state ministers, amidst wild cheers from the fans.
“Thank you Kolkata, thanks for your support,” said captain Gautam Gambhir, as he waved at the crowd.
Thanking the cricket buffs, KKR chief executive officer Venky Mysore said he was proud to be part of the team which has “done a fantastic job underthe captaincy of Gautam Gambhir”.
The brief function over, the players were put into the team bus with a heavy security cordon enroute to the team hotel.
Despite the clock touching 11 p.m., there were people lining the route.
- We have done it, says Shah Rukh on arrival in Kolkata (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Frenzied Kolkata fans fete Knight Riders, Shah Rukh (Roundup) - May 29, 2012
- KKR goes all out to engage fans - Apr 03, 2012
- Shah Rukh, Mamata steal show in KKR's Eden party - May 29, 2012
- Shah Rukh no show on roadshow disappoints Kolkatans - May 29, 2012
- Mobbed by thousands, Kolkata's Knights begin victory parade - May 29, 2012
- Gambhir named Kolkata Knight Riders captain - Mar 08, 2011
- Mamata flays critics of SRK felicitation - May 31, 2012
- KKR fans seek divine intervention to turn team's fortune - Apr 09, 2011
- Shah Rukh bats for Mamata, answers critics - May 29, 2012
- Gambhir to miss KKR's CLT20 qualifiers - Sep 13, 2011
- Consistent year of losing for Indian cricket: Akram - Apr 03, 2012
- 190 was an imposing target: Chris Gayle - Apr 29, 2012
- KKR wins IPL title, B-town cheers SRK - May 28, 2012
- I wanted to win for Kolkata, Sourav: Shah Rukh - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: airport terminal, buffs, chief executive officer, co owner, cricket fans, cutouts, franchisee, garlands, gautam gambhir, heavy security, kkr, knight riders, league champions, makeshift stage, netaji subhas chandra bose, security cordon, shah rukh khan, state ministers, team bus, team hotel