Fans treatment of Clarke ‘un-Australian’: HoggJanuary 31st, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 31 (ANI): Former Australian cricketer Rodney Hogg has termed the fans who booed stand-in captain Michael Clarke as “un-Australian”.
Clarke’s was welcomed to a smattering of applause; punctuated with derisive boos as he walked onto the Gabba.
Almost two hours later, Clarke, who has endured a horrific run of low scores in Tests and one-day matches, departed as Australia’s top run-scorer, making 54 off 74 balls.
Hogg said he’d never seen an Australian captain treated with such open disrespect, News.com.au reports.
“That happens to villains. We expect people to boo villains. I just think it was very un-Australian. I don’t think people should be booed because they’re not making runs,” Hogg said.
Clarke walked off after being caught behind by Andrew Strauss off the bowling of Chris Woakes to warm applause.
Hogg said he almost certainly “won a few of us” with his fighting innings. (ANI)
- Boos from small minority can't undermine Clarke's popularity with Oz public: CA - Feb 01, 2011
- Ex-Test star Walters, pacer Hastings back Clarke to answer critics boos - Jan 31, 2011
- Smith backs run-choked Clarke to fire in remaining ODIs against England - Jan 28, 2011
- Australia beats England by 51 runs in Brisbane ODI - Jan 30, 2011
- Ponting 'selfish' in batting at No.3 in World Cup warm-up game against Proteas: Hogg - Feb 17, 2011
- Australia takes 3-0 lead in ODI series against England - Jan 23, 2011
- Clarke defends his slow scoring in first ODI against England - Jan 20, 2011
- When Indian team turned from villains to heroes - Jul 31, 2011
- Australia four wickets away from 4-0 whitewash of India (Roundup) - Jan 27, 2012
- Getting Hussey early key to England winning New Year Ashes Test: Swann - Jan 01, 2011
- Trott stars as England win Adelaide ODI against Australia to stay in series - Jan 26, 2011
- Aussies have lost their aura - Nov 29, 2010
- England on top in rain-hit Sydney Test - Jan 03, 2011
- Australia outplay India at the Gabba (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Clarke says he's fit for second Test - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: andrew strauss, australia, australian captain, australian cricketer, balls, boos, bowling, captain michael, disrespect, gabba, melbourne, michael clarke, news com au, smattering, villains, warm applause