Fans rally to watch Maradona’s first game as Argentina coachMarch 28th, 2009 - 8:58 am ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, March 28 (DPA) Thousands of people gathered Friday to buy tickets for Argentina’s game against Venezuela in Buenos Aires, which was set to be Argentine football legend Diego Maradona’s first official match as national team coach.
The queue was more than 700 metres long to get one of the 13,000 “popular” tickets for the Monumental stadium, the cheapest option available at around $10 each, to watch the historic game on site.
More expensive tickets - costing up to $100 - were almost sold out too, and the 65,000-capacity stadium was to offer atmosphere at Saturday’s game as fans showed their excitement over a new era under the new coach.
Argentine football authorities expected record ticket sales at around $1 million.
- Maradona's son to play in Argentine fourth division - Aug 17, 2012
- Maradona may stay on as Argentina coach - Jul 21, 2010
- Tevez, Di Maria to be seen alongside Messi in Kolkata friendly - Jun 06, 2011
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- AFA head: Maradona could eventually return as national coach - Aug 04, 2010
- Messi mania draws sports lovers, Bollywood stars, tycoons - Aug 22, 2011
- Boca Juniors hint at signing Maradona as coach - Jul 16, 2012
- Jubilant reception for Maradona, Messi in Buenos Aires - Jul 05, 2010
- Maradona may be in charge of Argentina till 2014 - Jul 15, 2010
- Maradona appointed Dubai's sports ambassador - Sep 02, 2012
- A little Argentina in Kolkata - Aug 30, 2011
- Corinthians draw with Boca in Libertadores final - Jun 28, 2012
- It is a dream come true to coach Argentina: Sabella - Aug 31, 2011
- Argentina tackle crucial match as they look over abyss - Oct 09, 2009
- Maradona brands Riquelme traitor - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: 1 million, argentina, argentine football, atmosphere, authorities, buenos aires, diego maradona, dpa, excitement, first game, football legend, match, national team coach, new era, queue, ticket sales, venezuela