Fans motivated me to give my best: KarthikeyanOctober 30th, 2011 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
Greater Noida, Oct 30 (IANS) Hispania’s Narain Karthikeyan said the cheers from the packed stands at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC) motivated him to equal his season’s best 17th place finish, after starting from the last, at the inaugural Indian Grand Prix here Sunday.
Karthikeyan was running 16th as late as lap 43 and ended up completing the 60 laps faster than team mate Daniel Ricciardo and Team Lotus’ Jarno Trulli.
Karthikeyan said he was particularly pleased with beating Ricciardo, who replaced the Indian as one of Hispania’s permanent drivers since the British Grand Prix.
“I had a great Grand Prix and I really enjoyed myself, it was an amazing experience. To finish 17th in my home Grand Prix is the best I could have expected with the car we have. Beating my team mate and a Team Lotus car on the way makes it all the more satisfying,” said Karthikeyan.
Ricciardo, a Red Bull protege, was quicker than Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi in every practice and qualifying session leading to the race.
Karthikeyan said it was great to see the stands brimming with fans and it acted as a motivation.
“As the race progressed, I saw more and more people in the grandstand and the other stands. It was a feeling hard to describe. I felt extremely proud at that time,” he said.
Karthikeyan chose to remain tight-lipped on his future beyond the Indian Grand Prix.
“I don’t know what is in store for me next. I will try my best to have a permanent seat in 2012. But as of now I haven’t thought about anything,” said Karthikeyan, who made a comeback in F1 this season after a gap of five years.
(Bharat Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Painful to watch race from sidelines: Karun Chandhok - Oct 25, 2011
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Drivers give thumbs up to Buddh Circuit; dust is only concern - Oct 27, 2011
- Age no barrier in F1, says Karthikeyan - Feb 03, 2012
- Entire F1 fraternity is agog about Indian Grand Prix: Karthikeyan - Oct 16, 2011
- Sentimental backing for Force India, 'Dream come true' for Karthikeyan (Preview) - Oct 27, 2011
- Karun's hopes of Indian GP still hang in balance - Oct 23, 2011
- Vettel wins maiden Monaco Grand Prix, Force India seventh - May 30, 2011
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Karthikeyan confident of a better show in Turkish F1 - May 04, 2011
- Vettel races to another victory, Sutil finishes 9th at European GP - Jun 26, 2011
- No points for Force India, Karthikeyan 21st at Turkish GP - May 08, 2011
- HRT and Narain racing against time for pre-season test drive - Mar 01, 2012
- I'll try to be in F1 as long as I can: Chandhok (Interview) - Oct 27, 2011
- F1 driver Ricciardo enthralls fans in the capital - Oct 01, 2011