Fans defend Phelps after marijuana scandalFebruary 7th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 7 (ANI): Fans of Michael Phelps have come out in defence of the ace swimmer whos under fire for pot puffing.
The pics published in Britain’’s News of the World, showing the eight times Olympic gold medallist using a bong, were taken in November at a University of South Carolina house party.
USA Swimming barred the 23-year-old star for three months, while Kellogg, the food company, announced that it would not renew its contract with swimming sensation when their deal expires at the end of February.
The fans and sympathizers have called upon to boycott Kellogg’’s after it dumped Phelps.
“Kellogg’’s has profited for decades on the food tastes of marijuana-using Americans with the munchies, the Washington Times quoted Lee Stranahan, a Los Angeles writer and filmmaker.
“What makes people mad is that Kellogg’’s knew he had a driving-under-the-influence charge when he was 19, and yet they still sponsored him,” he added.
Soccer ace Cristiano Ronaldo also backed Phelps.
“It is obvious that all sportsmen should set an example to youngsters, but Phelps has asked for forgiveness and faced up to things,” he said.
According to the Detroit Free Press, Jon Urbanchek, a University of Michigan coach who worked with Mr. Phelps before the 2008 Olympics, also said that he had not “lost the support of the Michigan family.
“He needs guidance,” Urbanchek added.
On his Facebook page, most fans are standing by him, as are most of his sponsors.
Others commercial backers including Speedo, Omega and Visa appear to be satisfied with Phelps” public apology for “regrettable behaviour” and “bad judgment.”
Mark Spitz, who won seven swimming medals in the 1972 Munich Olympics also expressed his sympathy for Phelps. (ANI)
- Eight arrested in Michael Phelps pot puffing scandal - Feb 11, 2009
- Phelps suspended from swimming, loses Kellogg contract - Feb 06, 2009
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Swimming Australia plans to lure Phelps for Thorpe showdown - Apr 03, 2011
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Michael Phelps' mom pens tell-all book - Apr 03, 2009
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Michael Phelps on bong pics: It was a bad mistake - Mar 13, 2009
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Kellogg dumps Michael Phelps over marijuana episode - Feb 06, 2009
Tags: 1972 munich olympics, 2008 olympics, ani fans, bad judgment, commercial backers, company announced that, cristiano ronaldo, detroit free press, gold medallist, lee stranahan, mark spitz, michael phelps, michigan coach, michigan family, mr phelps, news of the world, public apology, university of south carolina, usa swimming, washington times