Family celebrates Anand’s historic feat in Moscow (Lead)May 30th, 2012 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 30 (IANS) Viswanathan Iyer, father of five-time World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand, said Wednesday it was the proudest moment in the family’s life as his son beat Israeli challenger Boris Gelfand to retain the World Championship title for the fifth time in Moscow.
“We are very happy. It is the proudest moment of our lives. It is a unique achievement. Gelfand has always been a tough opponent,” said Viswanathan.
Anand sealed his fourth-consecutive world title beating Gelfand 2.5-1.5 in the four-match tie breaker at Moscow’s State Tretyakov Gallery. The tournament went into the tie-breaker after Anand and Gelfand drew the 12th game, Monday. They were tied 6-6 after the final round.
Anand went ahead in the tie-breaker after winning the second game in 77 moves following a draw in the first. The first game ended in a draw in 33 moves. The remaining two games ended in draws.
Anand’s mother Susila, who mentored her son during his formative years, was also thrilled with the victory.
“Very thrilled by my son’s win,” said Susila.
Anand’s wife Aruna, who is with her husband in Moscow, said the win was satisfying since it was a close match.
“It is a feeling of satisfaction, it got very close till the end. Both Anand and I understood in a tie-break anything could happen. But we hoped for the best. The focus was only on chess,” said Aruna.
“Lot of hard work has gone into this win. Months and months of preparation have finally paid off. It takes a lot out of you,” she said.
Anand will receive $1.5 million, while challenger Gelfand bags $1 million.
- Anand's family elated at win - May 30, 2012
- Anand crowned World Chess Champion for fifth time (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Anand wins fifth World Chess title (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Chess fraternity pays tribute to Anand - May 30, 2012
- Too tense to be happy: Anand - May 30, 2012
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- I'm relieved: Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- World champion Anand gets grand welcome - Jun 03, 2012
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- Jayalalithaa greets Anand - May 31, 2012
- World champion Anand still eager to learn: Grand Master Ganguly (Interview) - Jun 04, 2012
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,