Fabulous opening day for Indian archers in Santo DomingoApril 3rd, 2009 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 2 (IANS) Indian archers Rahul Banerjee and Mangal Singh Champia stood first and second in the men’s qualification round on the opening day of the World Cup Stage 1 at Santo Domingo, the capital of Dominican Republic.
India’s Dola Banerjee and Laishram Bombayla Devi were placed a creditable fourth and fifth among women archers on the first day of the event Wednesday.
In the team championship qualification, Indian men and women earned the numero uno place, while the sister-brother combination of Dola and Rahul occupied the top spot in the newly introduced mixed team category to complete India’s success story.
In the men’s category, Rahul was the most consistent at the four distances - 90, 70, 50 and 30 metres - and took the top seed position.
The 2008 World Cup winner Justyna Mospinek (Poland) was placed first in the recurve women’s qualifications after shooting at 70, 60, 50 and 30 metres. Ranked second was Natalia Valeeva (Italy) who tied the European record at 30 m with 357 points.
In men’s individual recurve, the absence of 2008 World Cup winner Im Dong-Hyun (Korea) and his teammates made the category wide open.
India’s advantage at the half-way mark was enough to keep the top place.
The semi-finals will be shot on Friday afternoon, India facing Italy and France shooting against Poland. The winning mixed teams will then battle for the gold medal, while the losers will go on to the bronze medal match.
- Archery World Cup: Indian men win gold, Deepika settles for silver - Sep 04, 2010
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Early exit for Indians in archery World Cup - Aug 06, 2010
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Indians on a song in archery World Cup - Jun 05, 2009
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Archery World Cup: Dola, Reena compete for lone bronze medal - Apr 04, 2009
- Dismal show by Indian recurve archers - May 05, 2011
- Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiers - Aug 06, 2010
- Indian players continue winning in Commonwealth Games with 28 Gold, 19 Silver, 22 Bronze - Oct 10, 2010
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: archers, bronze medal, dola banerjee, friday afternoon, gold medal, indian men, italy and france, kolkata, losers, mangal singh, natalia valeeva, opening day, rahul, santo domingo, semi finals, sister brother, stage 1, success story, team category, world cup winner