Fabio betrays Ferdinand, says Terry will regain captain’s armbandMarch 15th, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 15 (ANI): England boss Fabio Capello has confirmed that John Terry will regain the captain’s armband even though his assistant assured Rio Ferdinand on Sunday that he would keep the job on his return from injury.
Capello broke the news to journalists without Ferdinand knowing anything about it.
“I will go up to Manchester to see Rio and find out about his fitness. I will then explain the situation. I also have to speak with John Terry and the other players,” The Sun quoted Capello, as saying.
Asked whether he thought it would be a difficult meeting with Ferdinand, he said: “Why? He is still a very important player to us. I will explain what has happened and why I feel the way I do.”
“It’s not that I don’t think he is a good captain. In fact, I think that both he and Steven Gerrard have done a great job. Sure, I will understand if he is not happy. But as manager I have to make difficult decisions,” Capello added.
The shock announcement came just 24 hours after Capello’s assistant Franco Baldini made a personal phone call to Ferdinand, assuring him he would keep the captaincy if fit.
Ferdinand had texted Baldini asking for clarification of his position after reports Terry, 30, could be getting his job.
Baldini assured the centre-back it had been a misunderstanding.
However, Capello now believes England require more of Terry’s bulldog spirit and ability to rally the team on the pitch. (ANI)
- Ferdinand told he is still England captain - Mar 14, 2011
- I need to make a permanent decision on England captaincy: Capello - Mar 16, 2011
- 'Fit' Ferdinand asks Capello to return his captain's armband back - Oct 11, 2010
- Reinstated Terry says Capello was wrong to take England captaincy from him - Mar 23, 2011
- England team right behind Terry: Crouch - Mar 24, 2011
- Ferdinand vows to never quit on England after getting captain's job back - Oct 12, 2010
- I never gave up hope of captaining England again: Terry - Mar 21, 2011
- Capello reinstates Terry as permanent England captain - Mar 20, 2011
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- Rio Ferdinand believes Capello will restore England captain armband - Sep 09, 2010
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Capello offers Ferdinand muddled apology for captaincy chaos - Mar 26, 2011
- Ferdinand to play on for England despite Capello's captaincy snub - Mar 22, 2011
- Rio Ferdinand wishes new England captain Terry all the best - Mar 22, 2011
- Capello yet to officially inform Ferdinand about England captaincy - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: boss, bulldog, bulldog spirit, clarification, difficult decisions, england, fabio capello, fitness, franco baldini, job, john terry, journalists, london, misunderstanding, personal phone, phone call, pitch, rio ferdinand, shock announcement, steven gerrard