F1 driver Ricciardo enthralls fans in the capitalOctober 1st, 2011 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 1 (IANS) Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo Saturday gave motorsports fans in the capital a taste of some serious speed and thrill by scorching down the majestic Rajpath stretch in a Red Bull Racing car.
Ricciardo, who replaced Narain Karthikeyan as a permanent driver for Hispania Racing this season, enthralled a sizeable crowd gathering around India Gate with some scintillating stunts, including the doughnut spin of the car. He drove on the popular stretch thrice, pushing the machine to a maximum speed of 250 km.
Though the Australian will make way for local driver Karthikeyan at the inaugural Indian Grand Prix Oct 30, he gave the motorsports freaks here a fitting curtain raiser ahead of the carnival at the Buddh Internatiional Circuit in Greater Noida near here. He ended the spectacular show by waving the Indian flag to the crowd while standing on top of the car.
Red Bull chose Ricciardo for the performance as he was a reserve driver with Toro Rosso (the other F1 team owned by Red Bull) before signing up with Hispania.
The rookie driver reckoned that the Indian GP will further popularise in the country that already has a F1 team in Force India.
“With Karun (Chandhok) in with a chance for racing in India and Narain already confirmed for it, the motorsport scenario looks good for the country. Force India are also doing well,” he said.
Before stepping on the gas, Ricciardo danced with a Bhangra group.
The other major performances of the day included a freestyle stunt show by a group called Ghost Rider and a music concert by rock band Indian Ocean.
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Entire F1 fraternity is agog about Indian Grand Prix: Karthikeyan - Oct 16, 2011
- Fans motivated me to give my best: Karthikeyan - Oct 30, 2011
- Bumpy ride for Karthikeyan and Chandhok - Oct 23, 2011
- Chandhok eyeing test driver's spot in F1 - Jan 28, 2011
- Painful to watch race from sidelines: Karun Chandhok - Oct 25, 2011
- We'll race Karthikeyan entire season: HRT - Feb 17, 2012
- Formula One: Indian Grand Prix begins - Oct 30, 2011
- An emotional and special moment: Mallya - Oct 28, 2011
- Buddh circuit gets a thumbs-up but dust remains a concern - Oct 28, 2011
- I'll try to be in F1 as long as I can: Chandhok (Interview) - Oct 27, 2011
- Karthikeyan trying to get a race before Indian GP - Sep 02, 2011
- Karun's hopes of Indian GP still hang in balance - Oct 23, 2011
- Karthikeyan joins Hispania to complete 2012 F1 line-up (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: car red, curtain raiser, doughnut, f1 team, force india, ghost rider, greater noida, india gate, indian flag, karthikeyan, maximum speed, motorsports fans, music concert, oct 30, racing car, red bull racing, rookie driver, sizeable crowd, stunt show, toro rosso