F1 champ Hamilton pitches for responsible boozing!December 11th, 2008 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec.11 (ANI): Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton took to the wheel in a London black cab to back an anti-drink-drive campaign on Wednesday.
According to The Mirror, Hamilton teamed up with double world champion Mika Hakkinen for the trip as part of the Johnnie Walker responsible drinking programme.
The pair hailed the public transport drivers who get people home safely as “the real champions” behind the wheel.
Hamilton said: “Our message is simple - never drink and drive. If you are out celebrating, use a designated driver, whether that is a taxi, bus, tube or train driver or a friend who doesn”t drink that evening.
Hakkinen said: “Lewis and I want to use our profiles positively and try to change attitudes. It’’s great we”ve been able to come to London and highlight the real champions, the people who get us home safely every day of the week.”
The champions drove black cabs across London’’s Tower Bridge towards City Hall to join forces with professional drivers from Transport for London.
Last year, 460 people were killed and approximately 1,750 seriously injured in the UK as a result of drinking. (ANI)
- Lewis wants to be a cabbie - Mar 15, 2012
- A Bollywood-style lesson for capital's cab drivers (Feature) - May 25, 2012
- San Diego taxi driver plows into nightclub crowd - Feb 12, 2011
- Cab drivers protest against use of Olympic lanes - Jul 24, 2012
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- Don't drive drunk, take a cab: NGOs tell New Year revellers - Dec 30, 2010
- End of the road for yellow-black cabs in Delhi? - Jun 26, 2010
- Indian taxi drivers scared to drive in Australia - Jun 19, 2012
- Two F1 world champions can race together if there is equality in team: Hamilton - Apr 09, 2011
- After court order on Kolkata cabs, 'alternative' arrangements planned - Mar 31, 2012
- Aditya hopes for a strong finish at Brands - Sep 02, 2011
- Hamilton warns against too much F1 cost-cutting - Dec 12, 2008
- Can anyone make Goa's cabbies charge by meter? (Letter from Goa) - May 03, 2012
- Chinese cabbies to be fined for refusals - Jan 19, 2012
- Indian origin taxi drivers in New Zealand say cameras won't stop all violence - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: black cab, black cabs, champ, city hall, double world champion, drink drive campaign, f1, formula one, hakkinen, johnnie walker, lewis hamilton, pitches, professional drivers, public transport, responsible drinking, taxi bus, tower bridge, train driver, transport drivers, transport for london